Anyone playing games with a high-end video card on a low-end system?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Ant, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello!

    I cannot seem to find benchmarks, articles, stories, etc. on how
    high-end video cards (e.g., NVIDIA 8800 GT with 512 or so MB of memory)
    run on low-end systems like an Athlon 4600+ X2 system (nothing is
    overclocked) with Windows XP Pro. SP2 (IE6.0 SP2 and all updates).

    I am currently using a EVGA eForce 7950 GT KO (512 MB; PCIe) with
    1280x1024 native resolution (hate going lower due to stretching option
    that look like crap on LCD monitors via VGA connections), no FSAA (0X),
    and eveything at the maximum (details, features, 16X anisotropic, etc.).
    It does almost fine for older games like Oblivion, C&C3, Orange
    Box/Half-Life 2, Call of Duty 4, etc. However, not so well with
    current/newest games like Crysis (see http://pastebin.ca/884075 for
    Crysis v1.1's island GPU benchmarks), World in Conflict (I think 11 FPS
    average), etc.

    Is it still OK for me to get a faster video card (one of the newer ATI
    or NVIDIA cards [8800 GT?]) on my old system? I don't know if the
    bottleneck is my CPU, video card (GPU), or both for the newer games. My
    detailed computer specifications can be found here:
    http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary computer).

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Really. And do these lions eat ants?" --John Cleese in Monty Python's
    Flying Circus
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address:
    ( ) or

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Ant

    Sir-Les-MP Guest

    You may find your memory is also part of the problem
    i looked at your system specs and noticied you are running 2 x 512
    sticks and 1 x 1024 stick
    Running the memory in this config means you are not making use of the
    double data rate you get when running them in pair's
    you would get better performance if you were to run 2 x 1024Mb sticks or
    even 4 x 512Mb sticks

    However changing your card to one of the newer Nvidia 8800 models will
    increase your fps by a good bit if your getting extreamly low fps after
    that then your CPU will be the main bottleneck

    Sir-Les-MP, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    How much FPS am I expecting from a high-end video card like a 8800 GT on
    my low-end system? 30 FPS more? I hope it's not a measely 5 FPS. I can't
    get both CPU and GPU upgrades at this time. So I am trying to figure out
    which upgrade would be the hit for the newer games. I am not planning to
    get Vista, so Vista's DirectX 10 is irrevelant to me at this time.
    --
    "We are anthill men upon an anthill world." --Ray Bradbury
    /\___/\

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    How much speed loss did I have? 50%? Are you saying my games would be
    two times faster than this memory setup? Non-gaming seems OK to me (fast
    enough for me).
    --
    "For me, the smartest animal's a pigeon." "Huh?" "1,000 cars on the
    turnpike, they find mine." "My vote goes to the ants." "How do you

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    My brain doesn't remember well. I got the FPS wrong for World in
    Conlict. I ran the benchmark and got the results:

    Resolution: 1280*1024
    Detail Level: High
    Average fps: 20
    Min fps: 8
    Max fps: 29
    TotalFrames: 1018

    --
    "I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd be willing to bet
    that a good fire'd get their attention." --MacGyver in Trumbo's World

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008
  6. Ant

    Conor Guest

    Well I run a X2 4800 with 7800GT but I have 2GB RAM and it flies like a
    bastard.

    --
    Conor

    As a Brit I'd like to thank the Americans for their help in the war
    against terror because if they'd not funded the IRA for 30 years, we
    wouldn't know how to deal with terrorists.

    Conor, Jan 30, 2008
  7. Ant

    James Guest

    I'm not running Crysis or World in Conflict, but I am running
    Battlefield 2 and Half Life 2 in 1600x1200 mode with not maxed out
    settings but 4x aa, and most detail set to high. I run an older CPU
    (3.2 Xeon) and an X850XT(256 MB), and 2GB of dual channel RAM. I get
    frame rates of between 50 - 70 in BF2, and while I haven't benchmarked
    it with Half Life 2, they are more than acceptable in single player
    mode. Call of Duty 4 demo also plays well at 1600x1200 with most
    detail high.

    As another poster said, I'd really look at your RAM. My system is
    roughly comparable in processor, older slower video card with less
    VRAM, and I still get high frame rates.

    James

    James, Jan 30, 2008
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    What newest games (not old ones) do you play and what type of settings
    (e.g., resolution, everything cranked up?) do you use?
    --
    "Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying
    Circus

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008
  9. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Those games you mentioned run fine on my machine as well. BF2 is very
    smooth, but it's an old game. :)
    --
    "After World War III, the ants will still be around." --unknown
    /\___/\

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008
  10. Does anyone here know why Nvidia have removed a much used function for the
    secondary display?
    Or know of a way around it?

    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...std_adp.php?p_faqid=2011&p_created=1169076830

    Just bought myself a lovely fully featured custom built computer with most
    of the best stuff, included was the Geforce 8800gt and much to my
    disappointment it didn't do what my Geforce2 could in the old computer.

    I feel like someone who just won a nice summer holiday to Venus!
    What were they thinking?
    The card is now virtually useless - I don't use it to play games - I wish to
    use it to make videos, via archiving my huge VHS tape collection on to DVD.
    Something I did mention to the boffins I bought the puter from.

    Regards
    Robert McCurdy

    Robert McCurdy, Jan 30, 2008
  11. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Return the card, get a lower end video card like a GeForce 6800 since
    you don't play games. 7xxx has its, but its aspect ratio is all wrong!
    You can see all the complaints in NVIDIA's forum like
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=49636&st=0 ...

    BTW, shouldn't this be a new newsgroup thread, not a reply to my thread? :)
    --
    "News Headline: Ants Take A Long Time To Cook In Microwave" --unknown
    /\___/\

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008
  12. BTW, shouldn't this be a new newsgroup thread, not a reply to my thread?
    It is a new thread! (I'm not sure what a 'new newsgroup thread is - do I
    need to create one?)

    Thanks thou for the reply - I did write there as well :)

    Regards
    Robert McCurdy

    Robert McCurdy, Jan 30, 2008
  13. Ant

    Paul Guest

    Examine the header of the message you sent. Yours has a "References" section,
    something that gets included when you hit the "Reply" button in your
    news reader.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia/msg/b79f759fe2e252a4?dmode=source

    Notice how the original posting in the thread, has no references. And
    thus, has started a "new thread".

    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia/msg/49113592bd4de593?dmode=source

    What you did, might be referred to as "hijacking".

    To prepare a new message, don't use the "Reply" button.

    You can view the full thread here, complete with subject change part way down.
    Click "Options" (upper right hand corner) and select "View as Tree" for a more
    dramatic effect.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.c..._frm/thread/9b18d743b4c42b4f/49113592bd4de593

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 30, 2008
  14. Ant

    Folk Guest

    A proper newsreader would show it as a separate thread. ;-)

    Folk, Jan 30, 2008
  15. Ant

    Conor Guest

    Quake Wars Enemy Territory and Unreal Tournament 3. All on 1360x768
    (Widescreen LCD TV) and all on High. Not benchmarked them but there's
    no lag.

    Conor, Jan 30, 2008
  16. Ant

    Rene Guest

    Fwiw, I have an Athlon 3000 (32-bit) and used to have an 6800GT. In Stalker
    this gave me a slide show, it was completely unplayable, maybe 2 or 3 fps.
    Then I bought the fastest AGP card available, the 7950GT with 512 MB and I
    could put many options to the highest setting, iirc the "dynamic lightning"
    was the killer for the 6800, on the 7950 it was no problem at all, I don't
    know how many fps I got then but it was enough, I saw no flickering
    whatsoever.
    I think this card is as much overkill for my cpu as the one You would like
    to buy is to Your cpu.
    But again, I don't have any numbers, so take the "fwiw" very literally.
    Perhaps You can buy the card in a store that will refund Your money if it is
    not enough improvement?

    Good luck and please report back Your plans/outcomes, I am curious.

    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

    Rene, Jan 30, 2008
  17. Ant

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    This is what review sites are for: testing various hardware combinations
    with various games to get FPS results. All you will get here is anecdote
    and singular opinion and only if you are lucky, links to various CPU
    scaling articles.

    And as luck has it:

    http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=672

    ^ CPU Scaling with an 8800

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246891-33-scaling-question-3870-8800gt-purchase-decision

    ^ Single core CPU user thinking about an 8800 upgrade

    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909774/m/196007148831

    ^ More CPU scaling discussion, but with Intel dual core cpus.

    The point is, which you already know, the fastest cards can't handle the
    most demanding gaming tasks today, and yesterday's cards are more than
    adequate for all the other titles. Why give any attention to Crysis,
    when it can't be run as intended with any combination of available
    hardware? Wait.

    Mr.E Solved!, Jan 30, 2008
  18. Ant

    Ant Guest

    How much FPS am I expecting from a high-end video card like a 8800 GT on
    Yeah, I had no problems with those games too. Smooth enough for me at
    1280x1024 with everything cranked up except FSAA. Now, try Crysis and
    World in Conflict games. ;) Demos exist so... :D
    --
    "I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find
    tractors small enough to fit it." --Steven Wright
    ( )

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008
  19. Ant

    James Guest

    I will try CRYSIS and run FRAPs to give me a speed. Doubt it will be
    fast, given my X850 XT. But it is better than minimum spec.

    James

    James, Jan 30, 2008
  20. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Well, I couldn't find any with an old Athlon 64 X2 systems. ;)

    Old games though. All of those worked fine on my current system. ;)

    Yeah, but I have a X2 (dual core). I didn't see anything interesting in
    that thread and FiringSquad article.

    Interesting. I always thought lower resolutions were supposed to help
    FPS, not make it worse. Hence, why I am using a 19" LCD monitor due to
    lack of space and to keep my FPS higher than say 1600x1200 resolution.
    If this is the case, then my CPU is a bottleneck on my current system.

    There were other games too like Tabula Rasa MMOG (late beta days). I
    had to crank their details down.

    Ant, Jan 30, 2008