    partition, or to multiple partitions, or to the entire surface of
    the hard disk?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 18, 2008

  2. Timothy Daniels

    Journey Guest

    I may play around with them if I have time but it's likely to be too
    low on my priority list given some of the volunteer activities I'd
    like to do (I want to help a nonprofit procur some computers but am
    not experienced with that, and may need to learn to write a grant
    which I am clueless about).

    The Linux solution you set up for the server is exactly the kind of
    thing I think it is really well suited for.

    Journey, Feb 18, 2008

  3. Timothy Daniels

    Journey Guest

    The reason I have not been impressed with the Linux apps I have tried
    is probably due to the fact that I have some of the best (and
    relatively unknown) creative software available for both the PC and
    Mac.

    I have had good luck getting free licenses to software -- even
    expensive software. On the Mac I have at least half a dozen of these
    donated programs.

    This is the kind of thing I am talking about:

    Windows
    - Mind Manager (www.mindjet.com) - graphical mind-map creation that
    integrates with Word and MS Project, also creates web pages. Can be
    used to organize large writing projects too.

    - Info Select (www.miclog.com) - amazing information manager with
    great file encryption.

    - The Journal (www.davidrm.com - much more than a journaling program)

    Windows and Palm
    - Bonsai (www.natara.com) - Windows desktop and Palm outliner. I use
    it to implement David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology

    - Daynotez (www.daynotez.com) - Windows desktop and Palm logger

    - Splash ID (www.splashdata.com) - Windows desktop and Palm password
    manager

    - Splash Shopper - Windows desktop and Palm shopping list (also
    useful for _many_ other kinds of lists)

    Mac
    - DEVONthink Pro Office - amazing information manager, great for
    storing project information, tight integration with web clipping and
    e-mail archiving.

    - DEVONagent - great for doing research from web, better search in
    many ways than Google, and more can be done with the results.

    - Mac Journal - keep logs and journals, including video, nest them,
    and create smart journals that are automatically populated based on
    rules.

    - Omni Focus -- promising Getting Things Done app for the Mac with
    many good features. It would be the best GTD app if it had multiple
    contexts or tagging and filter by tags.

    - Omni Outliner - great tool for project management and outlining but
    I haven't had a need yet to use it.

    My MacBook can run all of the programs above, very well, including the
    Windows and Palm programs (using VMWare Fusion).

    I think I would be hard pressed to find _any_ Linux program at the
    level of the programs listed above.

    What I do think I would find with Linux, however, are utility programs
    that I could use to do things like batch updates on picture files.

    I can also use VMWare Fusion to run Ubuntu concurrently with the Mac,
    so all of those could be run on a Mac too.

    Anyway, my main point is that programs on the level of those above,
    the special ones that stand out on Windows or the Mac, are probably
    not available for Linux.

    Journey, Feb 18, 2008
  4. Timothy Daniels, Feb 18, 2008
  5. Timothy Daniels

    Journey Guest

    I have an advanced degree that I use for writing projects and for some
    of my volunteer activities, that's unrelated to computers. I use a
    different Internet name and participate in different forums for that.

    However, I had to pay for that advanced degree (lol) so my main career
    path has been as a "computer professional" and I use my "Journey"
    Internet name for that.

    The computer part of my career path has been (spanning 15 1/2 years)
    for 4 major corporations (2 of them because they were bought out by a
    parent of another).

    - TI programmable calculator --> Commodore Pet Basic --> COBOL /
    Fortran / PLI --> Mainframe computer programmer (ack) --> Systems
    Analyst --> Database analyst (DBA) and Data Analyst (DA).

    I stopped working in September of 2001 and hope to never go back to
    corporate America :) I found it incredibly political, boring,
    mind-dulling, and at times due to "right-sizing" it was expected of me
    to work 60 hour weeks. f* that.

    I am a project manager and data analyst at heart though, which is
    probably why I like the kinds of programs above. They also aid with
    my writing and other projects.

    While working, I took classes in object-oriented languages, modeling,
    and web development. Since 2001 I have gotten an associate degree and
    certificate in web development (C++, C#, Java, VB, VB.NET, Perl, UML,
    etc .....).

    I decided not to pursue it though because I have issues with
    depression, and I found that immersing myself in computer object
    models makes me feel isolated and feeds into my major depression in a
    major way.

    An exception may be to develop for the iPhone. Once I can see the SDK
    and know the full scope of what I would need to do in order to do that
    I will decide if it's something that I'd want to do. That kind of
    programming fits with my attraction to gadgets, and the iPhone could
    become my most ultimate gadget! (right now the Treo is much more
    practical for me).

    Due to some circumstances given to me by the universe, it's quite
    possible that I will no longer _have_ to work if I don't want to for
    the rest of my life (I'm 45 now). However, recently I have had the
    desire to go back to work. I even drove through morning rush hour
    traffic the other day and liked it lol (I'm sure it would be different
    if I didn't have my iPod -- I was cranking the Scorpions that
    morning).

    In the meantime, I have found that some of the nonprofit agencies I
    have benefitted from could use project management and computer skills.
    I hope to develop skills that relate to that, and who knows -- maybe
    it could result in some kind of book that would be helpful for
    non-profits.

    Thanks for indulging me :) We get bits and pieces of everyone's
    lives here so that's a lot of bits from me at once.

    Back to regular programming ... !

    (P.S. -- if anyone has a P4 or higher laptop or PC with a registered
    version of XP, I am open to donations for a specific non-profit, feel
    free to e-mail me if you do. Macs considered too.)

    Journey, Feb 18, 2008
  6. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    An ISO file is a standard format file from which a (almost always) bootable CD
    can be burned. If your CD burning software does not handle ISOs (unlikely), I
    highly recommend IMGBURN, a free CD/DVD burner from across the pond. UK, I
    think... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 18, 2008
  7. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not exactly. As long as one is not an obsessively dedicated slave to the
    Microsoft way of doing things, and all the nits and grits of the Microsoft DOC,
    XLS, PPT and Access formats, ANY one of these distros is VERY much suitable for
    use as a desktop system. The standard install includes OpenOffice, GIMP
    (Photoshop equivalent), Thunderbird for email, and Firefox, of course. Also
    included are CD burning software, software to play all manner of audio and video
    files and on and on.

    Maybe you could combine your non-profit activities with a small Linux project
    and load up a computer with a Linux distro for use by the non-profit, thereby
    avoiding all the dollars shelled out for the Borg's products and the products of
    friends of the Borg? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 18, 2008
  8. Timothy Daniels

    Journey Guest

    There are also some good utility-type programs that let an ISO file be
    opened from a hard disk and appear as a virtual physical CD/DVD drive
    with that ISO. I don't remember the name of the particular one I use
    (my XPS 410 desktop is temporarily out of service). Other programs,
    like Ultra ISO (http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/) allow extracting
    of files from an ISO without needing to burn them, but I don't think
    that one has virtual drive capabilities.

    Journey, Feb 18, 2008
  9. Timothy Daniels

    Journey Guest

    Hmmm, well, that's a possibility. There is a computer professional
    volunteer from Epic Systems (located here) that proposed Linux for one
    of the computers. I could ask him if he'd be interested in doing
    something like that.

    A professor at the University of Wisconsin has asked non-profit
    workers to be involved in a project ... brb I'll get the name of it
    .... it's called "nonprofit computer technology assistance needs" and
    it's a sociology seminar. Right now they are in the process of
    developing interview questions for non-profit agencies.

    Thanks Ben! This is actually good timing because the Epic
    professional might want to do something like this, and the university
    project might also be interested and is just starting.

    Journey, Feb 18, 2008
  10. I guess this answers my question about the specific ISO
    reinstallation files offered by Dell for machines which were
    NOT ordered with Ubuntu pre-installed:
    http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10/OS_Reinstallation#Reinstalling_from_DVD_disc
    It says that everything on the HD will be obliterated.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 18, 2008

  11. And here is WHY everything else is obliterated:
    http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10/Default_Partitions
    The Ubuntu reinstallation takes up 3 Primary partitions plus
    2 logical drives on the Extended partition. This means that the Dell
    re-installation ISO file couldn't be used for a Windows/Linux dual-
    boot (unless the installer gives the option to not install Primary partitions
    1 and 2 - with which I'm too chicken to experiment). Whadaya say,
    Ben? Do you think Vista's partition can be left in place?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 18, 2008
  12. Timothy Daniels

    Ron Hardin Guest

    As ye grep, so shall ye reap.

    Ron Hardin, Feb 18, 2008
  13. Isn't working for a living a bitch! First, you hate it. Then when
    you leave it, you miss it. I guess it's the feeling of being part of an
    organization and having a plan for each day. It focuses you. I'd
    never work at home, though. Talk about feeling isolated! I also
    did the OOP-n-Web education thing after an early retirement, and
    now I'm getting set to go back to commuting and keeping a daily
    work schedule. I found retirement too boring without $3M stashed
    away pulling interest.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 18, 2008
  14. Timothy Daniels

    Ron Hardin Guest

    That's what I use today. /bin/sh /bin/ed

    A command line interface implies scripts, which means
    you can do stuff without hanging around.

    Why, the computer almost does stuff automatically!

    A GUI user has to sit there to click stuff for the hours
    something might take.

    Ron Hardin, Feb 18, 2008
  15. It appears that a free utility called "Gparted" can do the partition
    re-sizing and moving: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ , and it can
    be run from a Live CD or from a USB memory stick:
    http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ .

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 18, 2008
  16. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    I would guess that a Dell Ubuntu reinstallation CD would wipe the entire hard
    drive. But, as always, a name-brand company has a lot of latitude to do what
    they want when building a reinstallation CD or ISO image thereof... Ben

    Ben Myers, Feb 18, 2008
  17. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    Don't you take antibiotics for your grep? Oh, that was strep! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 18, 2008
  18. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    Used it last week on a Dimension 4600 with Intel 865 chipset extreme graphics.
    Works well. Tip to anybody who uses it on a new system. It may not recognize
    the video chip, and, therefore, not start up Gnome environment. Use the
    forcevideo command, and the likely choices to work with an Intel video subsystem
    are i810 (the very first Intel integrated graphics), svga, and vga... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 18, 2008
  19. Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have known enough to use
    the forcevideo command.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 19, 2008