anyone using the thermalright XP-120 here?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by signmeuptoo, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. signmeuptoo

    signmeuptoo Guest

    How many of you are using the Thermalright XP-120 monster heatsink for
    their CPU? What CPU do you have it on? What fan do you use and do you
    have a link? How do you like it?

    From what I can gather it is a kick @$s heatsink that owners are giving
    lots of love up for. Sure is expensive, but I figure that it would be
    an investment that would last as I would be able to reuse it for future
    upgrades being it is so massive, vis-a-vis the slk-948u and how *it* can
    be used on more than one socket standard.

    If Thermalright keeps making Heatsinks that can carry over like that,
    they will get more brand loyalty, IMHO.

    So, are there any of you using this monster, and if so, how do you like
    it, and what fan do you have?

    TIA

    signmeuptoo, Mar 8, 2005

  2. signmeuptoo

    Alex Devlin Guest

    I've had one for a few months now. Use it to cool a P4 Prescott 2.8 with
    this fan; http://tinyurl.com/33q6d

    Temps are lower. I went from 48 idle 73+ under load with the stock intel
    hsf to 38 idle 47 under load. Then my sensor screwed up and now it reads
    60+ under load. I know it's not reading right for as I tried the cpu and
    xp-120 on a different motherboard and the temps were mid 40s under load.
    This was after running Prime 95, Google Compute, and encoding movies for
    over 5 hours.

    The finish is excellent with almost no need to lap the base. Nice and
    smooth and shiney straight out of the box.

    Check to make sure you can fit it on your motherboard. I have an Asus
    P4P800SE and it only fits one way, with the pipes facing the memory
    slots. The other ways are blocked by caps or just not feasible because
    of the hsf clips on the motherboard. Because of this mine also rests one
    side on the intake fan for my power supply. Makes clipping the fan on a
    bit interesting.

    The first time you fit it take the motherboard out of the case so you
    can see what you're doing. Make sure you have the clearence all around.
    The clips look flimsy but they do work well. I had to modify my fan as
    it didn't have open corners for the clips to go into. Make sure the fan
    has open sides (needed for the clips) and open corners for a secure fit.
    The corners can be dremelled, sawn, filed or screwdriver and hammered
    off to make room.

    I asked Thermalright what liquid they used in the pipes and was told it
    was plain old water. So you are getting a very basic water cooling
    system which out performs any standard air cooled heatsink option that I
    know of.

    I would recommend it without hesitation. I did a lot of research before
    buying mine, mainly because I didn't research much before buying my cpu
    and got stuck with a hot prescott instead of a nice cool northwood, and
    nothing seemed to come close to it in tests. There may be better now so
    have a look and see before buying.

    HTH

    Alex Devlin, Mar 8, 2005

  3. signmeuptoo

    signmeuptoo Guest

    Yeah, their site says that it works with the A8V, I did check. So it is
    a type of passive water cooler, heh, interesting. Surprised they used
    plain water, that could be worriesome if it corroded things. Maybe they
    treated the water, that would make sense.

    How much of the base is copper, is it all of it, can you tell with the
    nickle plating on it?

    signmeuptoo, Mar 8, 2005
  4. signmeuptoo

    Alex Devlin Guest

    Can't really tell just by looking at it. But I would think it's probably
    the whole base and the pipes and fins are aluminum. It may cool the cpu
    even more if you lapped the base and removed the nickle coating. The
    coating is pretty thin and I have a few scratches on it from installing and
    removing.

    Alex Devlin, Mar 8, 2005