    complaints?

    Thanks

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Dave

    Dan Koren Guest

    HP/Compaq laptops have consistently scored at or
    near the bottom of the heap for quality, support
    and reliability -- according to various magazine
    surveys.

    Caveat emptor.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 11, 2004

  3. See my earlier thread on this model (from a few days ago). In short, I'm
    very, very pleased with mine. Don't listen to the naysayers who obviously
    have no experience with this laptop at all and are simply going by surveys.
    No doubt HP has had some past support issues, but this particular laptop is
    a fine machine and absolutely unbeatable at its price if you ask me.

    Any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer either here or by email.

    // Jeff Williams
    //

    Jeff Williams, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Dave

    Dan Koren Guest

    Yes, however may I respectfully note that a sample size of
    one is not statistically meaningful?

    ^^^^^^^^^

    Why do you think this is so obvious?

    I don't know about others, but I am certainly not going by
    surveys. Every HP made PC or laptop I owned or used broke
    down, could or would not be repaired or replaced in a
    reasonable amount of time, etc...

    Besides, what is it that makes the surveys irrelevant in
    your eyes?

    I must confess I cannot follow the logic of this statement.

    If HP are known to have had support problems, how do you/we
    know they've been fixed? Also, what does quality of support
    have to do with any specific model?

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Unless you're being paid by a computer company that views hp/Compaq as a
    threat the amount of effort you people put into knocking them is just
    ridiculous.

    Dave, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Dave

    JOE Guest

    Well there ya go - YOUR 'one vote' seems to matter to YOU,
    but if you scroll up, you castigate the original poster for HIS 'one
    vote'

    Hypocrite. Bet yer voting for Kerry.

    JOE, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Dave

    Dan Koren Guest

    Wait a moment. If we count the number of HP systems I have
    used or owned, they add up to a lot more than one.

    And I never claimed the statistical weight of my opinions
    is any higher than that of others -- I only summarized my
    experience with the brand. No false claims whatsoever.

    Also note that satisfaction or disatisfaction with a product
    is an extremely biased function -- statistically. We have
    conditioned ourselves to tolerate very few, if any failures.

    For instance, if a product sells one million copies, and
    one thousand fail (a mere 0.1%) I'll bet we're going to
    hear its quality is terrible. Negative "votes" tend to
    weigh much more on impact on public opinion/perception
    than positive "votes" -- especially so for technology
    products.

    It seems you're reading way too much between the lines. I
    did not "castigate" anyone for anything. I merely pointed
    out that sample sizes of one are not statistically significant.

    One as in "one system", not one person.

    No, but that is besides the point. There's no need to
    turn this thread into a political flame war. If you
    like HP products and feel happy with them, go ahead
    and enjoy them as much as you like.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 12, 2004
  8. No, you may not.

    See, because a sample of one is better than a sample of zero. You do not
    own this laptop.
    Because you do not own this laptop, as stated. That was obvious from your
    post. Are you going to now lie and say you do?
    The fact that they have nothing to do with this laptop? This is a brand new
    machine. Companies change, product lines become better and/or worse over
    time. This should be self-evident, but apparently not to you.
    Do you have cognitive difficulties? There's not much logic to follow here.
    It's a nice machine at a great price. What do some old surveys regarding
    either pre-merger or just post-merger HP have to do with the quality and/or
    features of this specific machine?
    Because I have already dealt with support twice on minor questions relating
    to this laptop, and had no problems. My sample of one trumps your sample of
    zero. Until I see a survey dated 2/12/04, I have only my experience to base
    anything on. And so do you.

    Also, what does quality of support
    Nothing. Which is the entire point.

    You don't like HP, fine. You DO NOT OWN THIS LAPTOP. Your input in this
    thread - which is SPECIFICALLY regarding the Compaq R3000 series - is
    meaningless. I don't jump into threads about Toshiba Portege quality
    because I know nothing about it. You don't know anything about the quality
    of the R3000.

    Jeff Williams, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Dave

    Mark Guest

    I sure wish people would not get into bantering like this. Post your
    opinion and leave it be. Anyway, I would like to add that my
    experience with HP/Compaq notebooks has been VERY good. I've had many
    different notebooks brands. Yes, I've had to install firmware upgrades
    on HP/Compaqs, but they have been easy to do and it's good that HP
    makes them available. My current notebook is the x1010us. I
    absolutely love it. The main things I look for are feature set,
    weight, mobility (batter life, wireless), not being hot under the palm
    rests, easy to type on keyboard, sound quality of built in speakers.
    And I'm totally hooked on the 5.4" widescreens which make 1280
    resolution very readable. I am helping a friend decide between the
    x1030us, an r3030us, or an r3050us. The price and features for the
    r3050us is very attractive, and it felt good trying it out in the
    store. Any other opinions on the r3000 series would be much
    appreciated?

    Mark, Feb 14, 2004