Anything As Good As Matrox For Linux Use?

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by wg, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. wg

    wg Guest

    Question from a Linux user:

    After buying my first flat panel LCD monitor, I discovered that my
    venerable G550 won't drive current X servers in DVI mode. This problem
    has been talked to death on the Matrox support forum, with no
    effective resolution. Matrox does offer an old beta driver, but it
    doesn't work for me. The screen starts out black and stays black.

    It also seems that none of the newer Matrox cards work well with X.

    So, I'm looking for suggestions for a card that provides image quality
    on a par with Matrox, has a DVI outlet, and is known to work with X,
    preferablty the current Xorg release).

    Any suggestions?

    (XiG offers a commercial server for the 550. Overall, it seems
    excellent, but two annoying glitches keep me from using it
    permanently.)

    wg, Jul 4, 2004

  2. wg

    KJ Guest

    good luck.

    i just sold my parhelia primarily because of the 'nix drivers (failed
    miserably with FreeBSD). matrox is good if you never stray from
    windows, but i was forced to leave due to the driver issues with
    non-windows systems.

    my replacment card is a MSI GeForce 5700 Ultra with two DVI connectors.

    the is no perceptable difference in image quality, but then, I'm only
    running two 19" LCD's anymore (Samsung 191T). either way, I have OS
    drivers out the yin-yang with this chipset. very happy now that X works
    like it should!

    KJ, Jul 5, 2004

  3. wg

    wg Guest

    Went out and bought a BFG GeForce 5900XT. Looks great in X and great
    in Windows. Agree that the image quality is at least as good as on
    Matrox.

    wg, Jul 6, 2004
  4. wg

    KJ Guest

    also noticed with my OS monitoring software that the new drivers don't
    write to windows registry nearly as often. the parhelia driver/software
    setup was constantly writing to the regristry even just sitting there.
    i don't know why, but have no idea on real-word performance impact.

    KJ, Jul 6, 2004