    am confused about the whole situation. I am not interested in
    networking anything together just to let that be said...Thanks in
    advance...Andy

    Andy, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Well I know you said you don't plan on networking anything, but I still
    suggest you go pick up a cheap 4 port router and two CAT5 cables. Plug
    the DSL modem to the router (in the upstream port) and the router to the
    computer (to the ethernet port). Next log into the router (open firefox
    and go to 192.168.0.1 -- the 0 may be different depending on the brand)
    and set it up for PPPoE, enter your username and pw, it will now dial
    out, and act like an always on internet connection. You won't need any
    drivers or software for your PC.

    The reason I suggest getting a router is because it will give you some
    protection in the form of a stateful firewall and NAT (Network Address
    Translation). I don't use AOL, but what I said ought to apply to most
    DSL setups (and for Cable modems its easier, set it to DHCP instead of
    PPPoE).

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Andy

    Laura Guest

    Most routers come with software to automatically detect the settings needed.
    Makes setting the router up a snap. The only thing it might not
    automatically detect is the dsl user id and password.

    Laura, Apr 25, 2005
  4. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ethernet is more suitable for DSL use than USB, which I use only as a last
    resort for networks. Ethernet allows the possibility to EASILY share the DSL
    connection among computers. You can do it with USB DSL, but the computer
    directly attached to the DSL modem needs to be powered on for anyone else to
    access the internet.

    Depending on the number and type of USB devices attached to the computer, there
    may be some interference, slowdown or erratic operation of USB DSL. An Ethernet
    DSL connection has dedicated hardware and the probability of any problem is just
    about nil.

    If you use a router, as recommended by others, depending on the brand name and
    type of DSL service, you may need to contact the DSL provider to help you
    through manual setup of the router. I have used Linksys (now part of Cisco)
    routers, wired and wireless, for over three years with no complaints from
    clients... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 25, 2005