AOpen AK79D/G Sound

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Schmuck, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Schmuck

    Schmuck Guest

    Not trying to start a religous war...

    (but)

    I've been looking at the Asus A7N8X Deluxe board, but my supplier
    doesn't carry it. Which means either change suppliers or change the
    board. This guy is a AOpen reseller. Looking at the Aopen site
    suggests the AK79D or AK79G series as possible alternatives.

    What is the difference between the two series? I'm looking at running
    an athlon 2600+ at 333MhZ FSB, but will probably upgrade when the
    400MhZ FSB chips drop.

    What is the sound like on these Aopen boards? (Given that I want to
    run a line out to my JBL Amp and Speakers and use it for Home
    Theatre).

    Finally, any comments (religous or otherwise) on the relative merits
    between the Asus A7N8X Deluxe, The AOpen boards mentioned above and
    the Abit NF7-S?

    Thanks

    Matt

    Schmuck, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Schmuck

    Dave Guest

    The difference between the AK79D and AK79G is that the G model comes with
    onboard GF4 MX video. The G is for Graphics. The D stands for discrete,
    meaning you must install a separate video card.

    If you are a overclocker or enthusiast then don't get the Aopen. The Asus
    and the Abit are feature rich and come with a lot of overclocking options.
    If you get the Asus rev2 or the newer version Abit then 400 mhz fsb is
    guaranteed. Don't even think about it with the Aopen.
    Dave

    Dave, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Schmuck

    J. Joyce Guest

    Aopen ak79d 400vn
    Is a great board.
    I was able to overclock the memory (mushkin) very high.
    For Dual memory corsair twin modules or twin LL is stable.
    You can run the FSB at 333, the 400 is just IMHO a better board.

    Don't get the older version; it is not as good.

    jj

    J. Joyce, Oct 11, 2003