AOpen MX46 Motherboard - RAM support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phefford, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. phefford

    phefford Guest

    I have an AOpen MX46 motherboard with a 256Mb 184pin PC2100 DDR SDRAM.

    I want to purchase a 512Mb stick of RAM to take the total RAM up to
    768Mb.

    The AOpen motherboard manual says it supports DDR266 (PC2100) maximum
    up to 2Gb.

    I can get PC3200 DDR RAM much cheaper than PC2100 DDR RAM. Should I
    get PC3200 or is it too risky?

    I see comments from people saying it's ok because the PC3200 RAM will
    simply run at the slower speed of the other stick. Other people say
    you may have memory problems and the computer may not even boot.

    The crucial.com website suggests I can use PC3200 RAM with this
    motherboard. This website seems reputable. Do you agree?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    phefford, Mar 29, 2005

  2. phefford

    Mike Walsh Guest

    The usual reason for higher speed DIMMs not to work is they are a newer design than the old lower speed DIMMs and use higher capacity chips than the motherboard can use. Usually a 8 chip DIMM will work when a 4 chip DIMM with higher capacity chips might not.

    Mike Walsh, Mar 29, 2005