    failure, will this software perform an orderly shutdown? Will it save open
    files (suppose for some reason there is a WORD or WORKS file open)?

    Mel

    MB, Jul 13, 2004

  2. MB

    PLS Guest

    You can open it and adjust the settings. However,
    the defaults are to beep every 30 seconds when
    the power fails; throw up a warning at 50% battery
    and shuts down at 10% battery power remaining.

    PLS, Jul 13, 2004

  3. MB

    JJO Guest

    Of course if curiosity is got to you, simply pull the plug from the wall and
    time it out. It should do the job and save and shutdown the system in an
    orderly fashion. APC used to suggest that you test the UPS in just such a
    way but I am not sure if they still do.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Jul 13, 2004
  4. MB

    Dave Guest

    I have the same model. APC recommends that you enable Hibernation and
    in the event of a power outage and you're not around it will put the
    system into Hibernation, saving your work. If you don't have
    hibernation enabled, or it dosn't work, it just shuts down. All
    Office products, Wordperfect, and most others will allow you to
    recover a "named" file in the event of a shutdown.

    I guess the moral is to save any open files you're working on before
    you walk away. The couple of times I've lost power it gave me time to
    shut down everything and turn off the computer while power was out.
    Had I not been there I wouldn't have lost anything, since I save
    before leaving the house even if I'm not turning the machine off.

    Note that this UPS is a bit optimistic in reporting how much time it
    will run your computer. Mine says 17 minutes, but in reality it's
    more like 8-10 minutes with my 4550.

    Dave

    Dave, Jul 13, 2004
  5. MB

    MB Guest

    John:
    Yes, APC still suggests that, so I did it. One concern:

    I followed the suggestion and all worked fine HOWEVER: I created the outage
    for 14 seconds (and then plugged it back in). But then the battery capacity
    was at 87%. Does it lose capacity linearly?? At this rate, the battery would
    have been dead within another 90 seconds or so. If that was truly the case,
    then shouldn't the computer have been shut down?? I really expect 5-12
    minutes of available battery power.

    Mel

    MB, Jul 13, 2004
  6. MB

    JJO Guest

    Not linear at all. I have found that even with less than 100% capacity,
    there is still a fair amount of runtime left.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Jul 14, 2004