App won't install properly. Can someone else give it a go?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Alan Browne, May 12, 2013.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    http://www.organicimaging.com/download
    (45 MB).

    This is an image processing program.

    Can someone try to install and run it please?

    Here is what happened (copied from a post I made on a photo group):

    Would not install properly on the Mac.

    It (properly) came up with an security warning on trying to install to
    the Applications folder, however, the correct thing to do at that point
    is "authorize" (temporary Admin/password) the install to the Apps folder.

    It then allowed me to choose a folder, but once I selected the user
    Applications folder (or any other location like the desktop) the
    "select" button remained inactive (grey) - so couldn't install at all.

    So I logged in as Admin and installed it from there.

    BUT

    It wanted to setup the location for temporary work files which defaulted
    to a location in the Admin folders - that would not be accessible in the
    user space.

    And as above, it would allow one to select other locations - but would
    not enable the "select" button. Could not change the default to a
    generally accessible location.

    I ran the program in Admin space. But I have no photos there so I
    couldn't select a folder of photos to work on

    Logged out of Admin and back into my use account.

    The program crashed on launch - presumably because it could not of
    course use the temporary folder in the Admin folder space.

    I guess the folks at organic don't understand Unix and/or Mac.

    1. Their installer is not Mac compliant.
    2. Their program is not Unix Admin/User space compliant.

    Alan Browne, May 12, 2013

  2. Alan Browne

    billy Guest

    It looks like a Windows-based program. You'll likely
    either have to accept its defaults, or get the vendor
    to make it more Mac friendly.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 12, 2013

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    By "image" I mean photographic image.
    the 'duck (other newsgroup - occasionally here) installed and ran it. I
    suspect his user account is also admin. (I don't do that).

    He also found it only handles Canon raw files.

    Useless wot.

    Yes, the "Windowish" install was pretty evident.

    Alan Browne, May 12, 2013
  4. Alan Browne

    Savageduck Guest

    I filed this response in that photo group, but I guess there might be
    some interest here, so here is a repeat of my report:

    OK. The report.

    The .dmg download was uneventful.
    The installer is definitely a not what I would have expected of an
    Apple compliant install. That said I went for the simplest install. The
    two stage, two piece install is odd, but worked out in the end.
    The App moved into the "Applications" folder, and the "Organic Imaging"
    folder with all its contents ended up in my User folder.
    Examining the "Organic Imaging" work files folder reveals it to be all Java.
    The only RAW files it handles are Canon CR2.

    Here is the manual. This thing seems to be very Windowseque:
    < http://www.organicimaging.com/sites/default/files/downloads/manual_en.pdf >
    All it seems capable of is a set of basic
    exposure/brightness/contrast/saturation adjustments.

    As Mac user, if I did not want to spend the $$$ on CS5/6 I would prefer
    to pick up PSE11 or Pixelmator (which isn't a bad deal).
    < http://www.pixelmator.com/ >

    I can't see a need for "Organic Imaging" in my future, so I didn't
    bother to open an account. For now it has been returned to the ether.

    Interesting concept and business model, but truly lacking as a photo editor.

    Savageduck, May 12, 2013
  5. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    according to their description, it doesn't support any raw files.
    very much so.

    Guest, May 12, 2013
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Yep - the 'duck confirmed he bad-boy'd the install running his use
    account with admin priv.

    Alan Browne, May 12, 2013