Apparently all new Bartons are now factory super locked

Discussion in 'Abit' started by EOC, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. EOC

    EOC Guest

    The OC party seems to be coming to an end, apparently AMD has
    quietly super locked Bartons clock multiplier. I have not been able to
    find any AMD announcement to this fact, however I would assume
    there was no AMD announcement so as to keep unaware OC'ers
    buying them, so as not to hurt sales and it worked with
    me, however I will not be buying AMD processors any more.
    Technically I can't complain, you buy a CPU of specified frequency you get
    a CPU of specified frequency. However It would have been more
    forthright to tell me the my there is no more possibility of the cracker
    jack
    prize of more frequency.

    My gut feeling is AMD must be locking at the bonding package level
    now, a little hard to change by an OC'er. That way they could still
    speed test bare die and sort and package and bond lock as necessary.

    My information was derived from the forum.oc-forums.com below and
    my recent purchase experience of a Barton 2500+, locked :(.

    Repost from forum.oc-forums.com,

    For those of you that haven't heard, new Bartons are factory locked, (not
    even wire tricks work with them.)

    We have yet to see visible physical difference in locked chips which not one
    person has noticed thus far despite posting pics of L1 bridges, etc.

    Ok I've edited typos from stepping codes reported as locked and unlocked,
    we're starting a data base of locked & unlocked chips:

    locked
    AQFZA 0341 XPMW
    AQXCA 0340
    AQXFA 0339
    AQXFA 0334
    AQYFA 0342
    AQZEA 0341
    AQZFA 0342 UPMW
    AQZFA 0339 UPMW

    unlocked
    AQZEA 0339 UPMW
    AQZEA 0334
    AQZFA 0340

    EOC, Nov 8, 2003

  2. EOC

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Is upping the multiplier really important if these things can easily
    run with a 200 MHz FSB? Just crank up the FSB to overclock. Has
    anyone tried to reduce the multiplier one those produced after week
    40, aka > "... 0340"? That's what I would prefer to do...

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Ok, I know a place where I can buy a AQXFA 0340 MPM.
    Anyone who knows if that one is locked or unlocked?

    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Nov 8, 2003
  4. EOC

    Bob Troll Guest

    I have two of the 2500 barton chips that appear to be unlocked or else my
    NF7S 2.0 unlocks them. They will run as either a 2500 or as 3000 or 3200 (I
    forget now which) with a flick of the bios setting for cpu type. No other
    settings involved. They heat up real fast due to my lameass hs/fan combo, so
    I run them both at stock 333 settings until I can get my boxes cooled down
    more. One runs in a Gigabyte GA-7VAX and the other in the previously
    mentioned Abit.

    They are AQXEA 0327 TPCW and AQXEA 0334 SPMW respectively.

    Add those to your list if you want.

    Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

    Bob Troll, Nov 8, 2003
  5. EOC

    BigBadger Guest

    I think all the chips week 38 or older are unlocked...I've got a AQXFA week
    34 and that's unlocked too

    BigBadger, Nov 8, 2003
  6. EOC

    BigBadger Guest

    Why are you not buying AMD any more????? Do you know of any unlocked Intel
    chips (other than engineering samples)????? Maybe you plan to go with Via ?
    (they could be locked too for all I know)

    BigBadger, Nov 8, 2003
  7. EOC

    TonyC Guest

    Isn't this nothing more than rumor at the moment? Got my Barton yesterday,
    unlocked.

    XP2500+ AXDA2500KV4D AQXFA 0340UPMW 1.65v @ 220x10 1.75v

    TonyC, Nov 8, 2003
  8. EOC

    Mark H Guest

    AQZEA -0340 unlocked

    Mark H, Nov 10, 2003
  9. For the record, that model is unlocked.

    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Nov 13, 2003
  10. EOC

    dgk Guest

    That's the week that everything hit the fan. I'd check those closely.
    They may not even be consistent in that week/stepping.

    dgk, Nov 13, 2003