Apple Addresses iWork For Mac Criticism By Pre-Announcing The Return Of Many Features

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Nov 6, 2013.

  1. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

    About the new iWork for Mac: Features and compatibility
    Learn about the new iWork for Mac.
    The new iWork applications‹Pages, Numbers, and Keynote‹were released
    for Mac on October 22nd. These applications were rewritten from the
    ground up to be fully 64-bit and to support a unified file format
    between OS X and iOS 7 versions, as well as iWork for iCloud beta.
    These apps feature an all-new design with an intelligent format panel
    and many new features such as easy ways to share documents,
    Apple-designed styles for objects, interactive charts, new templates,
    and new animations in Keynote.
    In rewriting these applications, some features from iWork ¹09 were not
    available for the initial release. We plan to reintroduce some of these
    features in the next few releases and will continue to add brand new
    features on an ongoing basis.
    Some features in upcoming releases in the next 6 months
    Pages
    € Customize toolbar
    € Vertical ruler
    € Improved alignment guides
    € Improved object placement
    € Import of cells with images
    € Improved word counts
    € Keyboard shortcuts for styles
    € Manage pages and sections from the thumbnail view

    Numbers
    € Customize toolbar
    € Improvements to zoom and window placement
    € Multi-column and range sort
    € Auto-complete text in cells
    € Page headers and footers
    € Improvements to AppleScript support

    Keynote
    € Customize toolbar
    € Restoring old transitions and builds
    € Improvements to presenter display
    € Improvements to AppleScript support

    In the meanwhile, you can continue to use these features by accessing
    the previous versions of the iWork applications which remain installed
    on your Mac. The previous versions can be found in Applications > iWork
    ¹09.

    Reverting documents created in the new iWork for Mac applications to
    the previous version¹s file format

    New or existing documents you open in the new versions of Pages,
    Numbers, and Keynote use the new unified file format. These files can¹t
    be opened in the previous versions of the iWork applications. To revert
    the document file format to the previous version, you can do one of the
    following:

    1. Documents that you haven't edited can be reverted to the iWork
    ¹09 version by selecting File > Revert To.

    2. If you have edited the document and want to preserve the edits,
    you can save it as an iWork ¹09 document by selecting File > Export To,
    then choosing Pages ¹09, Numbers ¹09, or Keynote ¹09.

    EndNote Compatibility
    For information about using EndNote with Pages 5.0 and later, see About
    the Pages for Mac EndNote plug-in.
    <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6009>

    Additional Information
    For more information about importing and exporting iWork ¹09 documents,
    click here.<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5994>

    For iWork for Mac help, click here.<http://www.apple.com/support/iwork/>

    And to provide feedback, click here.
    <http://feedback.apple.com/>

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 6, 2013

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    Or really? One wonders why Apple didn't just say so at the release of
    the new version. It would have short-circuited all the brouhaha before
    it ever had a chance to develop a head of steam.

    Oh wait! Could there possibly another reason? Like they're lying. They
    never intended to include those features until there was a broad hue and
    cry.
    or
    Fascist Oligarchs' eXcrement

    Fred Moore, Nov 7, 2013

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Lloyd Guest

    Uh, that would be 'hew and cry'... :)

    Assuming it is a response to feedback, it is good that Apple is making
    the changes the users want, regardless of reason.

    Lloyd, Nov 7, 2013
  4. Michelle Steiner

    gtr Guest

    Aa-HAA! The truth is out!

    gtr, Nov 7, 2013
  5. Michelle Steiner

    gtr Guest

    I was quick to download and install them and then go about my business.
    3 days later I open up Numbers and for the life of me can't figure out
    how to do anything! It's gonna take some serious getting use to.

    I could shriek and claw my eyes, but frankly, I'm pooped. "Oh well" is
    about as good as I can muster...

    gtr, Nov 7, 2013
  6. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    Damn. Thanks for the correction. I'll blame it on my wife. I asked her.
    But she's a graphic designer, so it probably is hue and cry for her. ;)

    Fred Moore, Nov 7, 2013
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Savageduck Guest

    For what its worth iWork '09 should still be in your applications folder.

    Savageduck, Nov 7, 2013
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Your Name Guest

    <snip>

    Nope, it's "hue" ... because all those whiners going red in the face
    with anger and then embarassment. ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 7, 2013
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Lloyd Guest

    LOL!

    Lloyd, Nov 7, 2013
  10. Michelle Steiner

    PhillipJones Guest

    That's better than some other Software Companies. How about, Microsoft,
    or Adobe,or Intuit. When do they give a rats behind what customers want.
    Its all about how many greenbacks that stuff in pockets of the BOD's and
    the Officers at the top.

    PhillipJones, Nov 7, 2013
  11. Damn. Thanks for the correction. I'll blame it on my wife. I asked her.
    But she's a graphic designer, so it probably is hue and cry for her. ;)[/QUOTE]

    Only if it's the wrong hue.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 8, 2013
  12. Maybe we should ask the alternative Time Lord, Doctor Hue.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 8, 2013
  13. Michelle Steiner

    Lloyd Guest

    Only if it's the wrong hue.[/QUOTE]

    Well if he tells here which it is, you KNOW that will be wrong! :)

    Lloyd, Nov 8, 2013
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    Thanks, D.F. So my wife was right after all. She usually is in language
    matters. I, on the other hand, am just an illiterate engineer.
    Unfortunately, it's too early to count them out.

    Non Illegitimi carborundum (sigh)

    Fred Moore, Nov 8, 2013
  15. Michelle Steiner

    Lloyd Guest

    You guys are just old fuddy duddies!! :)

    I, being more modern, would use 'hew'!
    Yeah, it is too early to count them out, but it isn't for lack of
    trying on their part... :)

    Lloyd, Nov 8, 2013
  16. Michelle Steiner

    Your Name Guest

    That version comes from the old woodcutter saying when they've cut down
    the wrong tree. ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 8, 2013
  17. Michelle Steiner

    Calum Guest

    When you announce new software, you never draw attention to what it
    can't do. That would have been a much bigger PR disaster than what
    actually happened.
    I doubt that. Apple has a pretty significant precedent for doing it this
    way: Final Cut Pro X.

    Calum, Nov 9, 2013