Apple Cinema Display and BFG 6800 - minor problem

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Marton Anka, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Marton Anka

    Marton Anka Guest

    Hello,

    I asked about the possibility of using a 23" cinema display with a 6800 card
    a few weeks ago and got many responses. (Thanks everyone!)

    I took the plunge, and bought a 23" Apple display and a BFG 6800 card (not
    Ultra, not GT, just a 128MB regular one - this was all that I could find in
    the area).

    It's gorgeous. I love it.

    However, there's one minor snag: the card has a VGA and a DVI output. The
    display is hooked up to DVI, for obvious reasons. When I booted Windows, I
    got the BIOS screen and the XP boot on my old VGA screen only, nothing on
    the Apple. (In the office I use two identical 19" Sonys on some ATI card,
    one on the VGA port and one on DVI, and both BIOS and the Windows boot
    process appears on both, right until the system actually boots and
    "separates" the two displays.)

    So it appears that I can't really get rid of the old VGA display. Sort of a
    bummer, as it's a huge 21" CRT, and I don't really have room for both of
    them on my desk.

    It appears that the BFG's firmware insists on using only the VGA connector
    as the primary display (BIOS, etc) and only makes use of the DVI output when
    a driver actually forces it to.

    I tend to think that the problem is with the card - but if I got a "proper"
    6800 (2 DVI outs), would that solve my problem? Anyone out there using an
    Apple as the primary monitor, and seeing the BIOS screen?

    Has anyone seen (and maybe solved) this? (I'm thinking maybe a firmware
    update?) I'm borrowing a 19" LCD that I can hook up to the VGA port until
    this is resolved... The Apple is absolutely beautiful, but without being
    able to see things like a BIOS screen, a DOS floppy boot, etc - it just
    cannot be my only monitor.

    TIA!

    -Marton

    Marton Anka, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Marton Anka

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    got the BIOS screen and the XP boot on my old VGA screen only, nothing on
    Have you tried disconnecting the vga monitor altogether to see if it will
    default to the dvi on boot?

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Marton Anka

    Marton Anka Guest

    Yes I have. Disconnected, powered down, powered up.

    I'm pretty sure that the card is the culprit, but wouldn't mind getting some
    confirmation on this.

    -M

    Marton Anka, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Marton Anka

    Chip Guest

    I think this is a known problem. Not sure of any solutions however...

    http://tinyurl.com/45ara

    Chip

    Chip, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Marton Anka

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    Does the borrowed LCD monitor show boot on the dvi?

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Marton Anka

    Marton Anka Guest

    Gary - no, it does not. So it IS the card after all.

    Looks like I'm going to have to try it with an Ultra, or any card that that
    has dual DVI outs, and hook the monitor up to the primary DVI connector.

    -Marton

    Marton Anka, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Marton Anka

    Marton Anka Guest

    Chip,

    Thanks for the link. The guy is having the exact same problems. The solution
    would be to get a card with dual DVI outs....

    -Marton

    Marton Anka, Aug 28, 2004