    Amazon, that have publicly noted their disapproval of the treatment of
    the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) on the part of
    law-enforcement officials....

    Fred Moore, Sep 23, 2011

  2. Way cool!

    (And a reminder to regularize my donations to the EFF)

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Sep 23, 2011

  3. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    From the Digital Due Process site:

    " The statute has not undergone a significant revision since
    it was enacted in 1986 - light years ago in Internet time. "
    http://digitaldueprocess.org

    Can somebody explain to the DDP that a "light year" is not a unit of time?

    Alan Browne, Sep 23, 2011
  4. Fred Moore

    Patty Winter Guest

    They're probably "Star Wars" fans. Get someone to explain it to
    George Lucas, then maybe the DDP folks will understand. :)

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Sep 23, 2011
  5. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    .... "the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!" ("Han Solo"). (watched
    it the other night actually (6 episode Blu Ray edition came in...)).

    another abuser was Chris De Burgh ... "... it was light years of time
    since ..." (Spanish Train album).

    Alan Browne, Sep 23, 2011
  6. Fred Moore

    Fred Moore Guest

    Good catch!

    Done; sent this afternoon:

    Dear DDP,

    I'm very much on your side with the effort to reform the ECPA which is
    why I'm writing. In the first paragraph on this page:
    <http://digitaldueprocess.org/index.cfm?objectid=37940370-2551-11DF-8E020
    00C296BA163>,
    your organization says this:

    "The statute has not undergone a significant revision since it was
    enacted in 1986 - light years ago in Internet time."

    Excuse me, but "light years" is a measure of DISTANCE, not TIME. Many of
    the people in your prospective audience and likely supporters are
    technologists. To make such an error will make you appear, at the very
    least, slipshod, if not uninformed or incompetent. I don't think that's
    the image you want to project. Please change "light years" to a true
    unit of TIME. To keep in a scientific vein, may I suggest "eons" which
    in Astronomy & Geology is a unit of time equal to a billion years.

    Thanks and good luck with the project.

    Fred Moore, Sep 23, 2011
  7. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    I sent them a briefer note.

    Alan Browne, Sep 23, 2011
  8. Don't hold your breath.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 23, 2011
  9. ... "the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!"[/QUOTE]

    Maybe he was explaining a shortcut he took which reduced the distance
    travelled to less than 12 parsecs.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 23, 2011
  10. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    That occurred to me. So I looked it up and it's been appropriately
    backfilled into the "history" of the S.W. universe as a shortcut.

    However (and I watched it the other night) it was definitely in the
    context of the speed of the ship, not tactics which would accrue to the
    commander.

    Further: { The novelization backs away and changes the line to "twelve
    Standard Time Units." } -Wikipedia.

    Alan Browne, Sep 23, 2011
  11. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    "Late!"
    -Mozart in the movie Amadeus.

    Alan Browne, Sep 23, 2011
  12. It would take a quantum leap in attitude for these sorts of errors to go
    away.

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Sep 23, 2011
  13.
    Richard Maine, Sep 23, 2011
  14. Fred Moore

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Sure it is, it's just less than a heavy year. ;-) We seem to be having
    a lot of heavy years lately.

    Tim McNamara, Sep 24, 2011
  15. Sure it is, it's just less than a heavy year. ;-) We seem to be having
    a lot of heavy years lately.[/QUOTE]

    Oh, so it's a unit of mass.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 24, 2011
  16. That occurred to me. So I looked it up and it's been appropriately
    backfilled into the "history" of the S.W. universe as a shortcut.

    However (and I watched it the other night) it was definitely in the
    context of the speed of the ship, not tactics which would accrue to the
    commander.[/QUOTE]

    Shh, stop trying to confuse me with facts.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 24, 2011
  17. It would take a quantum leap in attitude for these sorts of errors to go
    away.[/QUOTE]

    That small, huh?

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 24, 2011
  18. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    Star Wars fan bois go way beyond you in confusing themselves with facts.

    Alan Browne, Sep 24, 2011
  19. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    I let than one go myself.

    Alan Browne, Sep 24, 2011
  20. That small, huh?[/QUOTE]

    But it's bigger than a tidal wave set off from an earthquake.

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Sep 24, 2011