    preferences, but I'd prefer not to. It seems like this sound started
    happening after I installed Skype. But Skype doesn't have that sound in
    its sound choices either. Anyone have a clue?

    nosredna, Jan 30, 2006

  2. nosredna

    Roger Guest

    It sounds like a shrill bicycle bell to me, and it has always annoyed
    me. Yeah I've always gotten that one with manual check / no mail; I
    think Apple Mail has always done that. Thanks for mentioning the
    uncheck option. I did just that, just now--unchecked it.

    Rog

    Roger, Jan 30, 2006

  3. I'm using Mail 2.0.5 from Mac OS X 10.4.4. On my Mac the sounds for
    other mail actions are stored inside the Mail application package. To
    open it locate the file Mail.app in the Applications folder, control-
    click on it and select Show Package Contents. A new window will open
    showing all the files that make up the Mail application package. Open
    the folder Contents, then the folder Resources, and you'll find the
    sounds.

    They are:
    Mail Fetch Error.aiff sounds like someone blowing across a jug.
    Mail Sent.aiff is a whoosh.
    New Mail.aiff is a low ping.
    No Mail.aiff is a shorter, higher ping.

    You can replace any of these sounds by putting a new sound in the
    package with the same name. Make a backup of the Mail application and
    the Mail folder in your user Library first though, just in case.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 30, 2006
  4. nosredna

    nosredna Guest