APPLE-SA-2011-11-10-2 Time Capsule and AirPort Base Station (802.11n) Firmware 7.6

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. This update can be installed from a Mac, Windows computer, iPad, or iPhone.

    I opted to use the iPad's Airport Utility just because I could.

    -- Michelle

    APPLE-SA-2011-11-10-2 Time Capsule and AirPort Base Station (802.11n)
    Firmware 7.6

    Time Capsule and AirPort Base Station (802.11n) Firmware 7.6 is now
    available and addresses the following:

    Available for:  AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n, AirPort Express
    Base Station with 802.11n, Time Capsule Impact:  An attacker in a
    privileged network position may be able to cause arbitrary command
    execution via malicious DHCP responses Description:  dhclient allowed
    remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via shell metacharacters in
    a hostname obtained from a DHCP message. This issue is addressed by
    stripping shell meta-characters in dhclient-script. CVE-ID CVE-2011-0997 :
    Sebastian Krahmer and Marius Tomaschewski of the SUSE Security Team
    working with ISC

    Installation note for Firmware version 7.6

    Firmware version 7.6 is installed into Time Capsule or AirPort Base
    Station with 802.11n via AirPort Utility, provided with the device.

    It is recommended that AirPort Utility 5.5.3 or later be installed before
    upgrading to Firmware version 7.6.

    AirPort Utility 5.5.3 or later may be obtained through Apple's Software
    Download site: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

    Information will also be posted to the Apple Security Updates web site:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 11, 2011