Apple to switch from IBM to Intel -- to be announced Monday at WWDC

Discussion in 'Apple' started by James L. Ryan, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. James L. Ryan, Jun 4, 2005

  2. James L. Ryan

    Davoud Guest

    James L. Ryan:
    That doesn't bother me in the least. It's all about the operating
    system, and I don't care what processor the Mac OS runs on.

    Will this mean dual-boot systems -- Mac OS and Windoze? That might be
    handy for those of us who have occasional need of a piece of Windoze
    trashware.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Jun 4, 2005

  3. James L. Ryan

    Kyle Jones Guest

    It may turn out to be good news. If Apple is moving to x86-ish
    chips (meaning AMD chips are also option), then the competition
    in that space ought to keep chip prices down and some of the
    savings might even reach the consumer.

    On the other hand the smell of BS is pretty strong right now
    given the years of "PowerPC > Pentium" propaganda we've had to
    listen to.

    Kyle Jones, Jun 4, 2005
  4. That doesn't bother me in the least. It's all about the operating
    system, and I don't care what processor the Mac OS runs on.[/QUOTE]

    Will they provide a PPC emulator on the Intel systems, like they did
    when they switched from 680x0 to PPC? If not, users who switch to the
    new machines will have to get all new applications.

    Barry Margolin, Jun 4, 2005
  5. James L. Ryan

    Davoud Guest

    Barry Margolin replied:
    There are many questions to be answered. I didn't mean to trivialize
    this; it's /big/ for Mac users. I'm wondering if my two new Dual G5's
    will bring maybe $20 each at a garage sale...

    Davoud

    Davoud, Jun 4, 2005
  6. Will they provide a PPC emulator on the Intel systems, like they did
    when they switched from 680x0 to PPC? If not, users who switch to the
    new machines will have to get all new applications.[/QUOTE]

    The rumor is they'll start at the low end machines and move it up, but
    what if they do it the other way around, and the first Power Mac with
    an Intel processor has a G5 _and_ a dual-core Itanium or something?

    Jerry Kindall, Jun 4, 2005
  7. What about the software we already own?

    Keeper of the Purple Twilight, Jun 4, 2005
  8. [commenting on the suspected switch by Apple from IBM to Intel chips.
    I can certainly cite many instances where computers and peripherals I have
    purchased from Apple have been obsoleted because of the introduction of newer
    models. To me this is a "fact of life" and not an instance of "being burned."
    I've often stated to others that when one buys an item of computing equipment
    they buy it because it has value to them at the time of the purchase, and
    that obsolescence is inevitable.

    James L. Ryan, Jun 4, 2005
  9. I'm a bit skeptical as to why they would do this so soon after
    introducing Tiger.

    I mean, Tiger was heavily promoted (and rightly so), and now here come
    the Intel processors - which means Tiger will probably have to be
    re-written to run on such processors (it's not like we can take our
    existing software and pop it into an Intel Mac, right?).

    People are saying that all Macs will be PCs now. In what way won't they
    be? Will an Intel Mac run Windows?

    Keeper of the Purple Twilight, Jun 4, 2005
  10. Things we won't know until next week......

    a) Is it really true that Apple will make the switch. (I personally believe
    that part of the rumor will prove to be true.)

    b) What Intel chip or chips will Apple be using. The CNET article doesn't
    say. For all we know Intel will be manufacturing a new chip line just for
    Apple.

    c) What effect a change will have on existing software. For all we know there
    might be a form of hardware emulation.

    Conclusion -- let's wait and find out before moaning and groaning and such.

    James L. Ryan, Jun 4, 2005
  11. James L. Ryan

    M-M Guest

    Doesn't make sense if this article from today is true:

    Power Macs and PowerBooks could gain new power plants in the near
    future, analysts say.

    IBM's chip group has been mum on details relating to its PowerPC
    processor line of late, but analysts expect it to deliver a dual-core
    PowerPC 970 and possibly a single-core sibling with less of a power
    appetite. Apple Computer Inc., in turn, could use the two chips to
    refresh its high-profile Power Mac desktop and PowerBook mobile computer
    product lines.<<<<<

    M-M, Jun 4, 2005
  12. That makes more sense than the plan described in the Cnet article. But I
    don't see why the whole transition to Intel makes more sense for Apple
    than sticking with PowerPC. How will Apple explain away the charts at
    <http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/>? Can anybody make a case,
    on the basis of speed, cost, and power/heat, for this change?

    Neill Massello, Jun 4, 2005
  13. James L. Ryan

    Joe Heimann Guest

    We will find out next week if there is any truth to the rumor, or how
    far it actually goes. I am somewhat skeptical af any sudden change,
    the problems involved in going from using a big-endian processor like
    the G4 and G5 chips to a little-endian x86 chip speak against this
    happening quickly.

    Joe

    Joe Heimann, Jun 4, 2005
  14. James L. Ryan

    Kyle Jones Guest

    Heh. We'll see if that link still works next week.

    Kyle Jones, Jun 4, 2005
  15. It's probably going to take them a while to make the switch. Unless
    they've already done lots of the work, I figure we're talking a year at
    minimum. So by the time anyone sees the new machines, it won't be "so
    soon after Tiger".

    Barry Margolin, Jun 4, 2005
  16. Uh oh....

    Keeper of the Purple Twilight, Jun 4, 2005
  17. James L. Ryan

    Jim Guest

    That's what I was thinking. I actually can see Apple using Intel in some
    capacity, I just don't see them using x86 any time soon. I can sort of
    see iSteve saying to them "if you can make a chip that is 99.99%
    compatible with PowerPC but faster, go for it". If they can get it close
    enough so that all that's required is a .1 update to the OS, they'll do
    it.

    Jim

    Jim, Jun 4, 2005
  18. James L. Ryan

    Zaphod B Guest

    They'll be farther along in their process if they announce now. If they
    do (which I personally doubt), I'd not be surprised if they actually
    have hw up the sleeve already.

    The reason is the same as all the secrecy Apple has always sworn to when
    introducing new models: It kills the sales of existing models. That
    effect will be an order of magnitude or so greater if you introduce a
    whole new architecture, because all your old gear (or the gear that you
    might have bought in the interval before the new stuff actually hits the
    streets) will be more or less worthless in the second hand market. Right
    now a used DP 2GHz G5 is still worth something. Now - try to make
    someone invest in a 2.7GHz DP G5 @ $2500 when he _knows_ that a 4GHz
    DP/QP AMD/Intel-based machine at maybe $2000 is coming in six months. No
    way.

    Zaphod B, Jun 4, 2005
  19. James L. Ryan

    Dave Devine Guest

    Dave Devine, Jun 4, 2005
  20. James L. Ryan

    Hans Aberg Guest

    That makes more sense than the plan described in the Cnet article. But I
    don't see why the whole transition to Intel makes more sense for Apple
    than sticking with PowerPC. How will Apple explain away the charts at
    <http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/>? Can anybody make a case,
    on the basis of speed, cost, and power/heat, for this change?[/QUOTE]

    Here are two interesting links:
    http://www.intel.com/products/processor/itanium2/index.htm
    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/80518-0-0-0-121.aspx

    It is a move towards the Itanium, which is big endian, just as the IBM
    PowerPC chips, developed by Intel and HP together. So it seems to be both
    right business and development moves. One should get even more computing
    power.

    Hans Aberg, Jun 4, 2005