Apple TV and 5.1 ACC

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Nigel, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    So this issue of no 5.1 surround sound in AppleTV is not quite as clear cut
    as I thought. Here is an excellent review of the ins and outs for those
    interested.

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/147048D8-D8B7-45E7-9A97-3CD5
    B4C2B75A.html

    (remember the linebreak may screw up the link so delete the %20 if you see
    it)

    Basically the optical toslink cable will put on DTS or AC3 5.1 and if you
    have it connected to a receiver that can decode it - you get it. If you
    don't you get static and that is the problem - most computers or TVs don't
    have this. Also ACC is like MPEG2 - old, clunky and has a large file size.
    Also Apple doesn't sell any videos on itunes with it AC3 or DTS- they use
    mp4 which has 5.1 using the newer ACC surround sound forma but not many
    audio receivers right now do mp4.

    Ok enough - read the review for more.

    Nigel

    Nigel, Mar 29, 2007