    "wattage" talk on the packages. How many watts do I need to be able to
    charge this thing in the car? My dad says he's tried to use several
    over the years and none of them have ever worked.

    elorahd, Aug 15, 2005

  2. elorahd

    Guest Guest

    For DC , P = IV

    Only thing you care about is DC power - your standard charger converts
    standard house current to DC. This charger will have either a wattage
    rating indicating the maximum draw it can take without melting, or the
    information necessary to calculate it,
    usually max output voltage and max output current. This information can also
    typically
    be found located at the DC input for the laptop, as well.

    For the sake of discussion, assume a DC power supply rating of

    10 V, 1.5 Amps , then the max power that the load can draw is:

    10 V * 1.5 Amps = 15 Watts

    Obviously, insert your values from the existing charger pack.

    Guest, Aug 16, 2005

  3. elorahd

    elorahd Guest

    OK, you pretty much lost me on that. Not good at math.:>

    So, given these specs, what do you get?

    AC Adapter
    Input voltage: 100 to 240 VAC

    Input current (maximum): 1.5A at 90 VAC, full load

    Output current: 3.34A

    Output power: 65W standard

    Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.1-inch (28mm) x 2.3-inch (59mm) x 5.25-inch
    (134mm)

    Weight (with cables): 0.9 lbs. (0.4 kg)

    elorahd, Aug 16, 2005
  4. elorahd

    BigJim Guest

    a 400 watt output with a peak of 600 or so will work fine.
    I have an inspiron 1100 with a p4 2.4 the one I use is 200 watts with peak
    400.

    BigJim, Aug 16, 2005
  5. elorahd

    elorahd Guest

    So, if I got, say a 300 watt inverter, it wouldn't work on my laptop?

    elorahd, Aug 16, 2005
  6. elorahd

    Kevin Guest

    I bought an inverter from a company called xantrex at Batteries Plus. Works
    like a charm. It's a 400 watt model called the xpower. It has wiring for
    hooking directly to a car, boat, rv or other battery or into a power port or
    cigarette lighter outlet. It has two AC outlets and an auto shutdown
    feature that protects against overload, short-circuit, over temperature and
    low and high battery conditions.

    It's awesome. As far as what wattage you need, a laptop will take about 75
    watts, a 27" television about 200 watts. A cellphone will take about 10
    watts.

    Kevin, Aug 16, 2005
  7. elorahd

    BigJim Guest

    you can always use the 300 watt to charge the battery if it doesn't work

    BigJim, Aug 16, 2005
  8. You probably "need" 120 to 150 watts, but personally, if buying an auto
    inverter, I'd go for a 300 to 500 watt model, although that is a lot
    more than you will need to run a laptop. You can get such inverters for
    about $30 at the warehouse clubs (Sams, BJ's, Costco, Price Club). Note
    that you can't actually use more than about 300 watts from a cigarette
    lighter. Anything above that will blow the fuse, and for anything over
    about that, you need to direct wire the inverter to the battery.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 17, 2005
  9. Your AC adapter is drawing 135 watts (1.5a @ 90 volts). That will need
    to be the OUTPUT of the inverter, so you need at least a 135 watt
    inverter. Again, however, I'd go for more than that, 300 to 500 watt.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 17, 2005
  10. A 300 watt inverter would be fine. Anything over 135 watts would be
    fine. Bigger is better, however, within broad limits.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 17, 2005
  11. elorahd

    eshopqin Guest

    Welcome to our website www.solargloble.com for car inverters from 75W-500W.
    We have good quality with best price.

    Sincerely yours,

    Alice

    eshopqin, Jul 18, 2013
  12. elorahd

    Bob_Villa Guest

    Really? Posting spam from something 8 years old! WTFAH!

    Bob_Villa, Jul 18, 2013