    Can anyone tell me if the Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound really performs
    better than the standard Silicone Compound that came with my Arctic Cooling
    VGA silencer? I want to overclock my 9700pro.

    Chalky, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Chalky

    Debug Guest

    I've never used it but all reviews I've read say it does by about 1or
    2 degrees. Silver is the best conductor of heat available, copper
    second.

    Debug, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Chalky

    Chalky Guest

    Is one or two degrees even worth the price of the tube? I think a 6gram tube
    sells for like $6.00.

    Chalky, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Chalky

    NotSmart Guest

    Opps, you forgot about the electron valence count of gold.

    NotSmart, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Actually carbon-nanotubes are one of the highest, interesting read below:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?R51C46901

    Old (2002) article, but the math is sound and its between a cooling geek
    and a Arctic Silver person.

    Philip Callan, Mar 6, 2004
  6. Chalky

    Debug Guest

    Not to me, maybe to others it is.

    Debug, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Chalky

    Debug Guest

    I'm talking heat conduction though and not eletrical conductivity.

    Debug, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Chalky

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    It should be easy to find some review comparisons. The ones I've read
    indicate that AS5 was as low as 1° to 2° lower at idle and as much as 15°
    lower under load. I used it when I installed my VGA Silencer. I guess I
    looked at it this way, I'm spending about $25 to get better cooling on my
    card, it's worth another $5 to lower it another few degrees. You could buy a
    less effective cooler for $20, but you didn't.

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Mar 6, 2004
  9. Chalky

    J. Clarke Guest

    Dansdata (<http://www.dansdata.com IIRC but might be .org or .net--if you
    don't find it google "dansdata") did a comparison of several heat sink
    compounds and he also threw in toothpaste and Vegemite. Turns out in
    practical terms they make little difference and the phase-change pads seem
    to be very slightly better than any of the pastes.

    J. Clarke, Mar 6, 2004
  10. Chalky

    Chip Guest

    Actually, diamond has a higher thermal conductivity than silver. Its not a
    very practical material to use as a thermal paste though :)

    Chip.

    Chip, Mar 7, 2004
  11. Chalky

    Debug Guest

    I think the most improtant thing when using any thermal paste is to
    use it *very* sparingly. Too much and you will do more harm than good.

    Debug, Mar 7, 2004