    that I can have 2 GB of memory in my Ultra 2 using this memory card
    configuration of 8 X 256 MB. I would greatly appreciate any help or
    ideas regarding this topic. Thanks.

    Kevin Shen, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Kevin Shen

    gerryt Guest

    For an E420r or similar class machine
    (Although these machines will accept X7004A as well)
    Buy the right memory - 16x128 part number X7004A for 2 GB on an Ultra
    2.
    Sometimes memory is compatible but I doubt it in this case.

    gerryt, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Kevin Shen

    Trinean Guest

    Per the Sun System Handbook the biggest memory supported in an Ultra 2 is
    128 MB.
    The same holds true even for an Ultra 30 or 60.
    Not until you get to an Ultra 80 do 256 MB memory modules come into play.

    My guess is they won't work or if you're lucky and they do it'll only be
    recognized as 128 MB.

    Trinean

    Trinean, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Kevin Shen

    Kevin Shen Guest

    Does anyone know of an EPROM flash/BIOS update for the Sun Ultra2 for
    the board to recognize 256 MB memory chips (if such even exists)?

    Kevin Shen, Dec 19, 2006
  5. Kevin Shen

    Josh McKee Guest

    Electrically they both appear to be 60ns 5V ECC DIMMS. I did come across
    this link which, if accurate, is encouraging:

    http://www.itsupplies.net/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=151

    Sun Option :
    X7005a
    Sun Reference:
    501-4743
    Compatibility:
    SS10. SS20, Ultra 1, Ultra 2, Ultra 30, Ultra 60, E250, E450, E220r,
    E420R
    Notes:
    256MB 5V ECC
    60ns DIMM

    As this is the only vendor I was able to locate listing the Ultra 2 as
    compatible with this DIMM I wouldn't make a buying decision on this
    information. Good luck...let us know if it works.

    Josh

    Josh McKee, Dec 20, 2006
  6. It certainly would be nice if someone tried this and found that they worked!
    A 4GB Ultra 2 would be nice. I am planning on running zones on mine, and
    figure that I might get a little tight on memory with just the 2GB>

    Cheers, Liam

    Liam Greenwood, Dec 20, 2006
  7. Kevin Shen

    Rich Teer Guest

    Depnds what those zones are doing: I have a 2GB X4200 with a handful
    of zones (in addition to the global one) configured, and I'm only using
    about 25% of the available RAM. Admittedly, the server is currently
    lightly loaded, but don't forget that zones don't add a huge memory
    use.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    . * * . * .* .
    . * . .*
    President, * . . /\ ( . . *
    Rite Online Inc. . . / .\ . * .
    .*. / * \ . .
    . /* o \ .
    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638 * '''||''' .

    Rich Teer, Dec 20, 2006
  8. It is very unlikely they would show as 256MB if they did work at all.
    But if they do work as hoped, please let us know.
    I have an Ultra2 and 3 x Ultra60's that could benefit from such sticks.
    All my boxen are at latest OBP flash.

    Gerry Sinkiewicz, Dec 21, 2006
  9. Yep, I'm considering running my file servers in ones zone, my email
    and web in a second zone. Then I can have only the web/mail zone
    exposed to the internet, and the rest of the system internal. Would
    just save running 2 boxes. Very light load, so I don't expect that
    zones will push memory too hard. I am considering running Sun's
    Messaging Server though - and that is kinda memory hungry.

    Cheers, Liam

    Liam Greenwood, Dec 23, 2006