Are 3rd party disk utilities better than Apple's disk utility?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Doug Day, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Doug Day

    Doug Day Guest

    Are utilities like Norton Utilities for Macintosh(NUM) or Alsoft's
    DiskWarrior better than Apple's Disk Utility?

    Are they worth the money and do they find and fix problems that Apple's does
    not?

    Frequently,maybe half the time, that I perform any action which results in
    disk activity, such as launching a program or opening or saving a file,
    there is a long pause before I detect any disk activity. During that time,
    either the dock icon bounces or the spinning rainbow cursor is on the
    window for the program trying to do the disk access. Eventually, the disk
    access commences and proceeds at normal rates.
    Startup and shutdown seem slow too.

    Apple's utility does not report any problems.

    Are there are other utilities better than the 2 mentioned? Fsck or other
    3rd party?

    Doug Day, Oct 6, 2003

  2. I concur wholeheartedly. Particularly because DW seems to be very good at
    mounting damaged volumes. Disk First Aid has never been very effective at
    this task.

    Paolo

    Paolo G. Cordone, Oct 6, 2003

  3. DiskWarrior is valuable, Techtool is useful, Disk utility is
    harmless and Norton is destructive IMVHO.

    George Williams, Oct 6, 2003