Are AMD Athlon 64 Socket 939 processors with 4 double sided DDR400 modules in dual channel mode limi

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Glzmo, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. Glzmo

    Glzmo Guest

    Hello all!

    In the manual of the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Mainboard (Socket 939, nForce 3
    Ultra chipset)
    it says that if you fill up all banks using four double-sided DDR400
    modules, that the
    Mainboard can only operate in DDR333 in dual channel mode. I read the same
    in many reviews of the board and other Athlon 64 Socket 939 boards.
    The articles say that it is a current limitation to the Athlon64.
    Since my old mainboard has died and I wanted to upgrade my CPU anyway, I
    thought I would still go for the aforementioned board and an Athlon 64
    3500+, even
    though I have got four double-sided Twin-Mos DDR400 modules. As expected
    from the reviews, it was working with DDR333 in dual channel mode.
    So I was thinking that I could try overclocking my Athlon 64 3500+, as the
    memory shouldn't have any problems with it until it reaches 200MHz, so I
    tried a FSB of 119 which brought the processor up to 3800+ speeds (2400MHz),
    as I read on the web it should make that easily with stock cooler and I
    thought it should do it with a Zalman CNPS-7000ACu. At the bootup screen,
    the memory was shown as running at 181MHz. However, the computer would hang
    while booting Windows XP. The same thing happened, no matter how little I
    overclocked the FSB (I have Dynamic overclocking disabled and the AGP speed
    locked at 66MHz and default voltage for CPU, memory and AGP). What could be
    the problem here? It seems as the memory is not.
    Anyway, I thought I won't be overclocking for now, so I checked all BIOS
    options again. I noticed I could set my memory clock up to 200MHz
    and I thought I'd give it a try, even though the reviewers state it won't
    run in dual-channel DDR400 mode with four double-sided modules. I boot up
    and lo and behold, the system runs in DDR400 dual channel mode with the RAM
    running at 200MHz, at least according to the bootup screen.
    The system boots into Windows and is perfectly stable no matter what, but
    due to the reviews stating it shouldn't work, I am wondering, is it really
    running in dual channel DDR400 mode for all four modules? Has anybody else
    had experience with this? Is there a tool that can tell me reliably what
    speed my memory is running at and if it's in dual channel mode or not?
    And if it is, what about all the articles on the net and my mainboard manual
    that
    state it isn't possible?

    Thanks in advance,

    Glzmo

    Glzmo, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Glzmo

    Ed Guest

    http://www.memtest.org/ (stand alone memory tester, run from bootable CD
    or Floppy)

    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm (set to Stress testing only, run
    torture test-Test Lots of Ram).

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php (CPU-Z, see Memory tab for single/dual
    info.

    hth,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Glzmo

    Glzmo Guest

    Thank you very much for these links. I did all those tests the whole night
    and everything went error free and stable. CPU-Z also tells me all my memory
    is running 200MHz in dual channel mode.
    I'm glad it works out fine. I still wonder what's up with all the reviews
    claiming it shouldn't work, though.

    Glzmo, Oct 4, 2004
  4. Glzmo

    Ed Guest

    Maybe they are running an older BIOS? If it runs stable and the
    performance is what it should be, the only thing I can say is they are
    wrong. ;p

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 6, 2004