Are new Harddrives backwards comaptible with old boards?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by hswerdfe, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. hswerdfe

    hswerdfe Guest

    I'm in the market for a new HD, but have not looked into it for several
    years

    my mother board
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-7ZXE.htm
    is from 2001, and has
    2 x UDMA 33/66/100 bus master IDE ports on board.

    acording to the tech sheet

    if I go into futureshop and by a new 160-250 GB harddrive and try and
    hook it up as primary slave. am I going to have any compatibility issues?

    I Really don't get the ATA-1 to 7 thing and the IDE thing and which one
    is compatible with what?
    and the diffrence between Serial and parallel ATA?

    if you know of a good tutorial that would help also.
    I tryied wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment
    but it was mostly useless

    thanks

    how

    hswerdfe, Aug 25, 2005

  2. I've used IDE disks as big as 250 GB with various motherboards
    of that era and have had no problems... except that the BIOSes
    clipped the disk to 128 GB. Abit provided a BIOS upgrade for
    their board, but Gigabyte didn't (and neither did Soltek IIRC).

    If your boot partition is within the first 128 GB, it will
    likely work even with an old BIOS. Once you've booted, the OS
    takes over and the limitations of the BIOS don't apply any more
    (at least that's the case with Linux). Worked for me with Abit
    KT7A, Soltek SL-65KV2 and Gigabyte GA-BX2000.
    "Parallel ATA" is good/bad old IDE. SATA is physically
    incompatible (different connector). Boards from 2001 don't
    support SATA.

    Andre Majorel, Aug 26, 2005

  3. hswerdfe

    Cl.Massé Guest

    Any (E)IDE (=ATA) drive work on any IDE controller, but at the lowest
    performance level of the two. For example, if you buy a UDMA/133 drive (133
    Mops), it'll work like a UDMA/100 drive on your MB.

    ATA7 = EIDE6 = UDMA/133
    ATA6 = EIDE5 = UDMA/100
    ATA5 = EIDE4 = UDMA/66
    etc.

    There are IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) drives that aren't ATA, but too
    old to be considered here and now.

    Parallel ATA is the traditional controller, with a flat ribbon of 80 pins.
    Serial ATA use a round cord with less pins and is plug and play, it is also
    faster. It isn't compatible with Parallel ATA, but you can get a PCI
    controller card.

    Cl.Massé, Aug 27, 2005