  1. I'm replacing the system board on my Thinkpad T20 (graphics card is
    failing fast) and noticed the hardware manual reccommends using new
    screws for all replacements. Is this really necessary? Thanks!

    michael.standre, Nov 4, 2005

  2. michael.standre

    skou Guest

    I certainly hope not!

    I have rebuilt about 20 of these, (20-23) and have never used new
    screws.

    steve

    skou, Nov 6, 2005

  3. michael.standre

    Phil Sherman Guest

    The screws are manufactured with a special coating that locks them in
    when inserted. In theory, after removing and reinserting the screw, the
    coating is not there and the screw can, in time, work loose.

    I suppose theat the appropriate grade of Locktite?, a commercial screw
    locking product, would work. I'd be cautious and very very careful using
    these products, all oil-based liquids, on screws being used in a
    computer. I believe that's why IBM precoated the screws.

    Phil Sherman

    Phil Sherman, Nov 7, 2005
  4. michael.standre

    GomJabbar Guest

    Loctite blue 242 is a common medium-strength grade. I think it would
    be OK, however it is rated for 1/4" to 3/4" diameter fasteners. Note
    that there are at least (6) different 'blue' grades of loctite. There
    are also purple, red, red-orange, and green grades. In the catalog I
    am looking at, there are 16 grades of Loctite threadlocking compounds.
    It appears the ideal grade would be the purple Loctite 222MS which is
    low-strength for 1/4" diameter and lower fasteners.

    GomJabbar, Nov 7, 2005
  5. I use paint, or fingernail polish, or model airplane dope; whatever has
    he color I want, clear included. It's just provides some binding to
    preclude rattling from loosening them.

    Angelo Campanella

    Angelo Campanella, Nov 7, 2005