    Not something of major significance, really, just an oddity -- unless
    you do it in the middle of the night, in a darkened airline cabin, with
    everyone else around you asleep, or trying to get to sleep.

    AES, Oct 26, 2009

  2. AES

    Gerry Guest

    Hit the mute button before shutting down, then there won't be a Bong,
    unless your holding stuff we don't know about.

    Gerry, Oct 26, 2009

  3. AES

    Wes Groleau Guest

    What _are_ you holding in your bong?

    Wes Groleau, Oct 26, 2009
  4. AES

    AES Guest

    I have a pair of small powered speakers cabled to the audio output jack
    of my MacBook [1].

    If I shut down and then restart the MacBook, either by doing a Shut Down
    from the Apple menu and then pressing the power button or by doing a
    Restart from the Apple menu, while leaving the speakers plugged in and
    powered on, the speakers go silent once the power is off.

    As soon as the power comes back on. and about the time the screen lights
    up, the _MacBook_, not the speakers, makes a loud Bong!, and the
    speakers simultaneously start to hum (presumably some kind of 60 cycle
    or other pickup).

    Some seconds later, just a second or two after the screen suddenly turns
    blue, and just before the Mac OS X box appears, the speakers go quiet.
    This seems to be clearly the point where the machine has gotten
    sufficiently awake to sense that something is plugged into the headphone
    jack; shut off the internal speakers; and start delivering audio to the
    jack instead.

    I don't really see this as a bug; seems more like just an incidental
    oddity to me.

    [1] For the record, the speakers are actually a Logitech powered iPod
    player, which can also be used as an external speaker pair. They sit on
    a shelf beside my desk, with the MacBook audio turned full up but the
    speakers normally powered off since I normally don't want any audio. I
    can then turn them on using a small remote that comes with the Logitech
    unit when I want to play a video or otherwise need audio. Works for me.

    AES, Oct 27, 2009