    TIA,
    Craig Wanke
    The MITRE Corporation

    Craig Wanke, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Craig Wanke

    Wolverine Guest

    None so far that I know of. check back in another 2 years. Maybe by then...

    Wolverine, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Craig Wanke

    Chris Allen Guest

    ---
    The NCM-888PSC UltraSPARC laptop, powered by the 650MHz UltraSPARC-IIi
    CPU, can be configured with up to 4GB RAM!
    ---
    http://www.nextcomeurope.com/ultrasparc/888/888PSC/888PSC.htm

    Other than that, I would try a very fast external hard drive as
    virtual memory.

    Or -- a very different possibility is to build a micro-ATX
    PC and power it with a gel-cell and AC-invertor (or an
    automobile's cigarette lighter), if your portability requirements
    would allow for that. It would seem that if your simulation is CPU
    intensive that the latter-stated option of using a very portable
    desktop computer might even be more desirable than the option of
    using a laptop, regardless of RAM requirements. (I.e., any
    ultra-high-performance "laptop" is going to contain many desktop
    components anyway - the main difference being that the manufacturer
    of said "alien laptop" will simply overcharge for the end result.)

    Micro-ATX boards:
    http://tinyurl.com/ybzc

    Micro-ATX cases:
    http://tinyurl.com/yc1a

    -Chris

    Chris Allen, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Craig Wanke

    Craig Wanke Guest

    That's quite helpful - our sim was developed on SPARC/Solaris to begin
    with, anyway (though we've ported to Linux as well). We'll check it
    out, thanks.
    A good idea, but we've found that once we start swapping, even with a
    fast SCSI drive, the game is over :)

    Thanks again,
    Craig

    Craig Wanke, Dec 9, 2003