Are todays monitors alot better than my 1998 Trinitron is...???

Discussion in 'Dell' started by LEESA, Nov 11, 2009.

  1. LEESA

    LEESA Guest

    I have a 1998 DELL Trinitron 17" CRT monitor. It still produces a
    clean and crisp (to me) display. Aside from the fact that it's heavy
    as hell to move around I would have to say that I am happy with it.

    Now... I see most, if not all of the monitors that come with new PCs
    today are LCDs. Obviously they have an advantage big time when it
    comes to space saving and mobility.

    My question is... what about clarity and performance? Back in 98
    when I got my Dell, my Trinitron was considered one of the better ones
    on the market and I haven't really used too much else.

    On several occasions a few years ago (namely 2004) I had the chance to
    use a PC with an LCD display and to me it was no clearer than my
    display. One thing I did notice from a negative standpoint is that
    unless you were looking straight at it, it wasn't very bright. If you
    moved even a few inches to the side, the brightness etc... degraded
    considerably.

    Here are my questions? Have LCD displays improved in the last 5 years
    or so and from a performance standpoint, are todays monitors better
    than my old Trinitron?

    Thanks

    LEESA (I)

    LEESA, Nov 11, 2009

  2. LEESA

    Daddy Guest

    Only you can decide what looks good to you, and whether or not something
    is better. Nobody can convince you that something is better if you don't
    perceive it to be better. To learn the facts and figures, there's
    Google. The rest is up to you.

    That's why I'm sticking with my 6-year old wireless phone. It makes
    calls, it takes calls. Who wants to watch TV on a screen the size of a
    ravioli?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Nov 11, 2009

  3. LEESA

    LEESA Guest

    Thanks guys... I like the comment about watching TV on a screen the
    size of a RAVIOLI..... LMAO. : - )

    Getting back to the topic at hand. I guess the word RESOLUTION in
    itself can be subjective and also confusing.

    I used to think when you talked about RESOLUTION.... you were talking
    about things such as clarity but more and more I am beginning to thing
    resolution is more used today to depict screen SIZE.

    For instance... I run my 17" CRT at 800 x 600 resolution. Why...
    the answer is quite simple. When I run it at higher resolutions...
    everything is much smaller and harder to see. Who likes to squint to
    read the fine print. I mean... it's not like the ravioli analogy but
    still everything looks smaller.

    Now... from a technical standpoint, I am assuming that when you run
    higher resolutions you get more PIXELS per square inch and hence, a
    better picture but I am not even sure about that.

    I feel so much about your viewing experience is getting used to
    whatever you got. I have been at 800 x 600 for so long.... I am just
    very used to it.

    Am I right about the resolution thing being about size AND clarity?

    Thanks again.

    LEESA (I)

    Ya wanna know what's weird.... now I feel like eating some
    overstuffed RAVIOLI.... LOL and I am not kidding.

    LEESA, Nov 12, 2009
  4. LEESA

    Bigguy Guest

    Yes, any decent modern LCD will be better than an ageing 17" 800 x 600
    Trinitron.

    No more convergence problems, better brightness and contrast.
    A good LCD panel will have excellent colour and superior viewing angles too.

    You will also have much more pixels on your desktop.

    Will you prefer it? I can't say...

    Only way is to try a few (decent) LCDs (try a Dell Ultrasharp 24"),
    either it store or at a friends. Maybe you can get a loan from a pal?

    Take a wee while to get used to the different experience with an LCD.
    Learn to love the big 1920 x 1200 desktop. I'm using two 24" Dells
    here... ;-)

    I wouldn't go back to any CRT if you paid me...

    YMMV

    Guy

    Bigguy, Nov 12, 2009
  5. LEESA