Are two cards better than one?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Koert, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Koert

    Koert Guest

    After researching a dual-monitor (2 lcd's and a tv) setup, I've settled on
    two options:

    Get a new

    My setup includes a P4 2.2
    with an unknown brand AGP GeForce4 MX440 (Medion computer with MicroStar
    mb). The existing video card will be used for my secondary monitor and the
    television.

    I want to add a second video card (PCI) that will connect to my Dell 19" LCD
    and I'm not sure which card to buy. Should I get another MX440? Will using
    the same driver make the system more stable?

    The Dell monitor has both vga and digital inputs. Should I try to find a
    card with dvi, or is the image difference negligible? This will be mostly
    for business stuff and and Paint Shop Pro - no games.

    Sure would appreciate any recommendations for the second video card.

    Thanks.

    Koert, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Koert

    Koert Guest

    Oops! Premature Posting!

    Let me try again:
    After researching a dual-monitor (2 lcd's and a tv) setup, I've settled on
    two options:

    Keep my existing unknown brand GeForce4 MX440 in the AGP slot and use it for
    the secondary monitor and the tv. Get a new card with DVI for the primary
    monitor.

    -or- scrap the existing card and get a new card, probably a Gaiward Ultra650
    GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128mb.

    The question: In terms of performance, and most importantly stability, is it
    preferable to have one card handling two displays, or is it better to have a
    separate card for each display? The costs are about the same.

    Thanks

    Koert, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Well, I would say, the less you have the less there is to go wrong.

    Lester Piglet, Jun 30, 2003
  4. I recommend the GF4 Ti4200 single card.

    I think 3D acceleration gets disabled when using two cards, but I could be
    wrong. But anyway, one of these cards will be running on PCI which degrades
    performance a little. A single card with several outputs gives much less
    hassle too, draws less power, generates less heat, etc etc.

    You'll have a hard time finding a single-output DVI card anyway (most come
    with VGA+DVI or VGA+SVHS+DVI), so you'll probably get a multi-monitor card
    anyhow!

    And since you want to use the TV and VGA on one card and DVI on another... I
    think you'll end up in a configuration nightmare setting that up.

    /M

    Martin Eriksson, Jun 30, 2003
  5. Koert

    Conrad Guest

    I am running an Asus v8440 (Geforce4 ti400). It has outputs for two
    monitors and is fine when using windowed apps, but when two monitors are
    installed, it doesn't like full screen apps like games. I got lock-ups and
    BSOD etc.
    I ran two monitors for a while, but didn't use the potential enough to put
    up with the problems.

    Conrad

    Conrad, Jun 30, 2003
  6. You might consider investing in a good PSU. BSOD from installing another
    device might have clued you in to what was causing the problem.

    For the OP: I personally like the new drivers from nVidia with dual view.
    The functionality is much improved. A single card with dual RAMDAC is a
    good choice.

    Existential_Quantifier, Jul 1, 2003
  7. Koert

    Folk Guest

    Would you like to explain how adding a second monitor taxes the PSU?

    Folk, Jul 1, 2003
  8. Koert

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    I hate to say this, esp here...

    but so far my best experience with dual head setups has been with Matrox
    cards. I have used the G400 dualheads for years, and when I got mine they
    came with a groovy cable for SVideo out to TV on one of the connectors (2
    D-Subs). Great drivers, nice features.

    Every time I look at the new cards and thier prices, i just go back to my
    trusty G400.

    BUT... right now I am running my GF4MX420 AND an old MGA PCI card at the
    same time to acheive a dualhead setup.

    So far its good. I game with the Geforce, and use the other display for IM,
    spreadsheets, and remote desktop sessions to servers...

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Jul 2, 2003