    drives?

    Thanks,

    R.B.

    rarebit, Dec 7, 2010

  2. Since both are connecting via an inferior port, why would the spinning
    HD be faster? It'd depend on the flash drive's speed, of course, but I
    am betting there are some fast ones now.

    John McWilliams, Dec 7, 2010

  3. rarebit

    David Stone Guest

    Aren't both are faster than the "inferior port" connection can
    accommodate? If so, it doesn't really matter how fast internal
    read/write access is between a spinning disk and a memory card...

    David Stone, Dec 7, 2010
  4. rarebit

    Guest Guest

    definitely not
    hard drives have moving parts, flash drives don't.

    Guest, Dec 7, 2010
  5. rarebit

    David Stone Guest

    That explains a few things!

    David Stone, Dec 7, 2010
  6. rarebit

    Guest Guest

    there are some fast usb sticks. i just bought one last week, however,
    it's still slower than a usb hard drive, particularly for writes.
    installing os x took several hours, but reading from it is reasonably
    fast. booting off it is noticeably slower than from a usb hard drive,
    although not by all that much.

    Guest, Dec 7, 2010
  7. rarebit

    Guest Guest

    the cheaper usb sticks are around 10-15 megabyte/sec, which is much
    slower than the upper limit of usb.

    the faster usb sticks have a read speed of around 30 megabyte/sec,
    however, write speeds are about half that.

    Guest, Dec 7, 2010
  8. Yes, it does, but I do wonder if there aren't any super duper flash
    sticks out there. I am not going to look as I won't connect except by FW.

    John McWilliams, Dec 7, 2010
  9. rarebit

    Guest Guest

    there are and they ain't cheap.

    one of the companies that makes high speed usb sticks was going to make
    a firewire stick but it never happened.

    <http://gizmodo.com/245941/ocz-rally-2-firewire-flash-drives-good-when-y
    our-usb-ports-are-stuffed>

    Guest, Dec 8, 2010
  10. Andreas Rutishauser, Dec 8, 2010
  11. rarebit

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 8, 2010
  12. rarebit

    M-M Guest

    Looks like the old firewire 400, not 800. And for $229, quite pricey.

    It is doubtful that it is faster than the present USB. I've tried to
    measure and couldnt see much of a difference at all.

    M-M, Dec 9, 2010
  13. Salut Michael

    yes, it is.
    Considered the time when it was offered and what utilities were
    included...
    It was not my intention to make a statement about capacity, speed or
    price, but just that FireWire sticks did happen...

    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Rutishauser, Dec 10, 2010
  14. rarebit

    M-M Guest

    It was not my intention to make a statement about capacity, speed or
    price, but just that FireWire sticks did happen...[/QUOTE]

    Point taken. I guess at the time it was something different.

    M-M, Dec 10, 2010