    Suppose I buy a new Dell computer system. If I sell all or part of the
    system, does the new owner get the benefits of the remaining warranty?

    I'm also interested in the general question, not just for computers.

    Matt, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Matt

    Notan Guest

    As far as Dells go, yes:

    http://tinyurl.com/6cs2f

    As far as "in general," it all depends on the company.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 14, 2005

  3. If you sell the entire system you purchased to someone, and go to
    the Dell website to record the transfer of ownership, it does.
    They get the service code registration, and any warranty time
    remaining. I've gone through that.

    Dunno about partial sales, say you keep the monitor, and the new
    owner gets the computer with its speakers, keyboard and mouse.

    That, I suspect, puts it in a case-by-case category with Dell.
    Can you be a bit more specific with that general question? Are
    we talking parts, or other end items, or what. Warranties are a
    briar patch in the first place; I wouldn't touch such an
    open-ended question about them like that with *your* 10-foot
    pole, much less my own. ;->

    Ogden Johnson III, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Matt

    David Guest

    For a Dell the whole computer (and monitor if purchased together)
    are transferable as a whole (not parts).
    Dave

    David, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I guess I'm asking about laws or regulations regarding transferability
    of warranties.

    Matt, Apr 14, 2005
  6. Which are primarily a function of state laws. Laws plural,
    because although generally written under the laws of the
    manufacturer's state, whether of incorporation or location of
    primary offices or location of principal manufacture/assembly of
    product is another variable, they are applied under the laws of
    the state where the product was purchased, which adds another
    variable into the equation in that for an online store,
    where/when does the purchase occur, at/in the state of shipment
    or at/in the state of delivery; and then overriding it all are
    the federal laws affecting some aspects of warranties.

    The only general rule about transferability of warranties is that
    the question is often addressed in the specific warranty on a
    given product; subject, of course, to how what is said in the
    warranty can be interpreted differently by the laws/courts of the
    varying state and federal actors identified in the first
    paragraph.

    Now do you see my reasoning for using your 10-foot-pole?

    Ogden Johnson III, Apr 14, 2005
  7. Matt

    Shawn Hearn Guest

    That depends entirely on the warranty. Usually, whether or not a
    warranty is transferrable, it will say so. Read the warranty. If this is
    for a prospective computer purchase, ask for a copy of the warranty
    prior to purchase and than read it.

    Shawn Hearn, Apr 15, 2005
  8. Matt

    Bill Guest

    On the other hand, the next time you go to buy a Dell, you may
    discover that you've been blacklisted and future orders will be
    cancelled, as at least one person on Fatwallet just discovered
    after ordering a machine with yesterday's $750 off coupon on FW.
    Apparently the person who he sold a previous system to called
    for service and Dell discovered that he had sold it (new) on
    ebay. Someone else in the thread pointed out that he instructs
    people he sells machines to never to contact Dell directly. And
    there was no yelling about what Dell was doing being invalid, so
    I think it is legit, at least if you sell it on ebay.

    Bill

    Bill, Apr 15, 2005
  9. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Thanks.

    Unless I am wrong, the warranty sometimes has wording to the effect that
    parts of it may be voided by state law.

    Matt, Apr 15, 2005
  10. Matt

    M.L. Guest

    Since they made a sale at the price they offered, why would Dell care
    if someone resold one of their new machines at a different price?

    M.L., Apr 21, 2005
  11. Matt

    Bob Ward Guest

    They don't. They do care, however, that the grey-marketed merchandise
    is out-of-warranty, since the seller is not an authorized dealer.

    Bob Ward, Apr 21, 2005
  12. Spoken like someone who hasn't bothered to read the Terms of Sale
    in its various incarnations [there is at least one each for end
    users [individual or small business/corporate], and for
    resellers; and the twain don't meet] on the Dell web site.

    While those terms do not preclude the home/small office/or even
    corporate users for selling Dell computers at the end of their
    useful life for the original purchaser, they do cover situations
    such as the person Bill described.

    Anyone that doesn't think Dell has good lawyers, on staff and
    independent, is deluding themselves. As they are if they don't
    think Dell monitors eBay, etc,, offerings to catch such things as
    Bill described.

    Ogden Johnson III, Apr 21, 2005
  13. Matt

    Matt, Apr 22, 2005
  15. Did your computer/ISP/newsreader stutter? You already asked and
    I already replied to this. Over a week ago for both, on the
    14th. ;->

    Ogden Johnson III, Apr 23, 2005
  16. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Thank you for mentioning that. Seemingly an ISP problem.

    Matt, May 17, 2005