    certain about the release dates of those new models. If you
    do know the possible release dates, please feel free to
    post your own warnings.

    Jason, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Jason

    Howard Shubs Guest

    You haven't been paying attention for the last few weeks, huh?

    Howard Shubs, Jul 11, 2004

  3. September, to be somewhat more specific. This is known. No more of the
    current iMacs are in production.

    Gregory Weston, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Yes, I have. I saw the September date posted but when I asked the
    head salesman at the Mac superstore he told me that he recently
    received a message from Apple headquarters indicating that Apple
    was unsure of the exact release date. The salesman could have
    been lying to me. Needless to say, I don't trust salesmen.

    Jason, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Not everybody reads this newsgroup every day.

    As for the other comments about new computers always being in the
    pipeline or months away, this is true but let's put it in perspective.
    The September iMac G5 (or whatever it will be) is a generation change
    with huge differences compared to the current model. Any future iMacs
    down the road afterwards will be speed bumps or relatively minor
    updates, for at least the next few years. The original poster is
    correct to inform folks to wait before making a purchase until the new
    models are out...sensible advice.[/QUOTE]

    An excellent post--keep up the great work.

    Jason, Jul 12, 2004
  6. Jason

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    I am in the market for a new iMac and would be ready to buy right now if
    it weren't for the September release. With the fanfare going on, if the
    release doesn't at least mean a G5 cpu, Apple will be facing a PR
    disaster. My guess is both G5 and a radical physical restyling.

    Paul Fuchs, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Jason

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    Yup, I was around. My first Mac was an SE/30 in 1990 which cost me
    over $3000 as I recall.

    As someone who is in the immediate market for an iMac but has the option
    to wait a couple of months without undue hardship, I would make the
    following observation. It is very rare that someone in this position
    gets good data about a major generational implement of a model this far
    in advance. I consider myself lucky. While a durrent iMac G4 model
    will be functional years to come, from the little I know about
    computers, a G5 iMac should be a major advancement. Secondly, the
    market value of the current model will drop precipitously compared to a
    situation where the new model was a minor speed bump.

    In summary, Apple, like most manufactures, keep their new upgrades close
    to their chest. It is rare to get a serious "warning" months in
    advance. The only reason this happened in this situation has to do with
    the timing of Apple's iMac inventory and manufacture. People in the
    market for an iMac now are fortunate to get this information - it
    usually doesn't happen. Re the Centris analogy - sure people where
    pissed off. The same way you would be if you but a stock on a hot tip
    and it dropped 20% the next week.

    Paul Fuchs, Jul 13, 2004
  8. Jason

    Tony Soprano Guest

    Nothing wrong with the current case design, although something different
    would be nice. The cheap headless iMac idea has merit. But the iMac
    desperately needs a G5 processor to keep it competitive with Intel
    offerings. If Apple doesn't release a G5 iMac, it will be a sales
    disaster. No one wants to pay 2004 dollars for a 2001-era chip. I hope
    Jobs can tear his attention away from the iPod long enough for this to
    sink in.

    Tony Soprano, Jul 13, 2004
  9. Except for the fact that:
    a) anyone who was paying attention then knew about the "consumer" 68040s.
    b) It wasn't the normal angst of people that buy something and then are
    surprised a week or two later by an update. I remember complaining from
    people that had been using their IIvx gainfully for months and a strong
    implication that they actually perceived those machines, which didn't
    magically get weaker, as having become useless.

    A coworker of mine was president of the local Amiga Users Group when
    Commodore gave up the ghost. He remembers people throwing their Amigas
    in the trash can the week the announcement was made.

    Gregory Weston, Jul 13, 2004
  10. I firmly believe that the reason the towers are all duals now is to make
    room for single-processor G5s in the midrange line. (Leaving eMacs as
    the desktop G4.)

    Gregory Weston, Jul 13, 2004
  11. Jason

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    Very astute observation. That's the thing that was bugging me - how
    Apple is going to distance the G5 iMac from the Tower. You have the
    answer - single versus dual processors. Typical Apple marketing.

    Paul Fuchs, Jul 14, 2004
  12. I think it's actually a fairly reasonable tactic this time, I think. The
    iMac is targeted at a subset of users that, in my completely unreliable
    sample, largely refuse to believe that dual-processor machines offer any
    benefit to a mainstream user. There's a problem zone with people who
    "should" buy the pro machines getting iMacs instead for space or price
    considerations, but overall I think it's not a bad way to distinguish
    the lines.

    Gregory Weston, Jul 14, 2004
  13. The standard advice on buying computers should be the same as it always has
    been. If you don't need one now, wait. When you do need one, buy the best
    you can afford. It's silly to worry about what might come out next month,
    or the month after, even if you're absolutely sure; because you can't use
    it until it comes out.

    Again, if you don't NEED it now, don't BUY it now. Whether you know there
    are new models coming out or not is irrelevant; there WILL be new models,
    and they'll be faster, higher capacity, smaller, and/or cheaper. This is
    not something unique to Apple, or even personal computers; nor is it at all
    recent.

    But when you decide it's time to buy, it's just as silly to deprive yourself
    of the computer you need in hopes of a better one later.

    Or, to put it another way, if it seems reasonable to wait, then you DON'T
    need it now, and shouldn't be buying anyway. Just remember that when the
    new iMacs come out, there'll still be a speed bump down the road. And
    eventually a new case and architecture. You might as well wait for THEM,
    too, right? ;-)

    David Butenhof, Jul 14, 2004
  14. Jason

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    The old maxim is basically true. But things aren't always black &
    white. Like a business vehicle that is starting to become unreliable.
    Boy, it's nice not to have to pay that monthly note, but is it worth
    losing a day of work every month? There is always that twilight between
    day and night. If that twilight overlaps the announcement of a new
    generation of a model of Mac which you intend to replace your current
    machine with, and which will come out in 60 days, then the smart thing
    to do is probably wait and see.

    Paul Fuchs, Jul 14, 2004
  15. Yep. 1.6Mhz iMac G5, coming up.

    Matthew Russotto, Jul 14, 2004
  16. Jason

    Kyle Jones Guest

    I would love to have a dual-proc Mac if I could buy one shaped
    like an iMac. I am weary of the footstool form factor. Even
    with Apple's pretty curvy bits the G5 tower is still basically a
    big ol' footstool that I'd have to find space for. Once I found
    the space, I'd then discover that the CD/DVD drive, USB and
    Firewire connections are inconveniently away from where I'm
    sitting.

    I like the way my iMac looks. I like the fact that it is
    small and quiet enough to sit right on my desk. I'm willing
    to sacrifice some processor speed for that. The current
    iMac is the first desktop system I've found that is a genuine
    pleasure to use.

    Kyle Jones, Jul 15, 2004
  17. Jason

    Jason Guest

    I recently talked to the head salesman at a Mac SuperStore. He said that
    Apple headquarters notifies them on a regular basis. He said that Apple is
    keeping the details related to the iMac that is suppose to be released in
    September a secret. We can only guess as to what it will look like and the
    the features. I agree that it will probably only have one processor. Will
    it be a G4 or G5 processor?--No one knows. My guess--A G5 processor.
    However, we won't know for sure regarding various guesses until September.

    Jason, Jul 15, 2004
  18. Jason

    Tony Soprano Guest

    Glad to see that Apple is putting a G5 in the iMac. Another G4 system
    would have been a joke. I'm sure the iMac G5 will kick ass if the price
    is right (ie) 17" screen, G5 chip for around $1200. Personally, I'm
    waiting for a PowerBook G5.

    Tony Soprano, Jul 16, 2004
  19. Jason

    David C. Guest

    Recent news (the quarterly conference call for investos) has said
    that the new iMac will be a G5. In answer to a question about the
    delay, Apple said that it's because they couldn't get enough G5 chips
    from IBM in time for an earlier release.

    As for the form factor, that's still rumor. The most reliable rumor
    I've heard so far is that it will all be embedded within the
    display. Imagine, if you will, one of the new brushed-metal displays
    that were announced at WWDC. Now imagine it a bit thicker, with the
    computer contained within it. That's what I've been hearing about.

    But as you say, we won't really know until September.

    -- David

    David C., Jul 16, 2004
  20. Jason

    David C. Guest

    The correlary to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is "if it is
    broke, get off your duff and fix it".

    -- David

    David C., Jul 16, 2004