    go through this "nannyism" until the time comes when I will no longer use
    these legacy apps (or the PPC ceases to boot, terminally)?

    Thanks.

    Mike Dee, Jan 15, 2009

  2. Mike Dee

    Warren Oates Guest

    Surely you mean when your PPC decides to take a leave of absence?

    Warren Oates, Jan 15, 2009

  3. Mike Dee

    Mike Dee Guest

    Whatever, Warren. But I would really appreciate it if anyone can *help*
    with my question asked in the OP.

    Thanks.

    Mike Dee, Jan 15, 2009
  4. Well, that's probably because Mac OS X is not going to corrupt files
    behind Mac OS 9's back, unlike the other way around.

    But you can just hold down the option key while booting to skip the nag,
    right?

    But if you have multiple Macs, you're probably better off dedicating one
    to Mac OS 9 to skip index and permission corruption and such.

    Steven Fisher, Jan 15, 2009
  5. Mike Dee

    Király Guest

    Restart your Mac, hold down the Option key, and click your OS 9 startup
    folder when it appears.

    Király, Jan 15, 2009
  6. Mike Dee

    Mike Dee Guest

    It was OK the first time, but after that it became tedious really fast.
    I'm OK with fresh warnings about new things but...
    Yes, but that wasn't what i want to do. I was hoping for the simple
    one-button click that OS 9 offers, to do the same task.
    Yes, I might just have to do that.

    Thanks, Steven. They were all good suggestions.

    Mike Dee, Jan 16, 2009
  7. Mike Dee

    Mike Dee Guest

    I know, I know. But yes, they really do.
    <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1732>

    The last two images on this page show the OS X dialogs for switching
    back to OS 9, the second to last omits showing the 1st "Restart" button
    in the dialog. The last image shows the second "Are you sure" Nag
    dialog and restart button (from Jaguar I think, but similar to Tiger
    and Panther's).

    I think its akin to the "com.apple.quarantine" nag that a lot of folks
    seem to be upset with in Leopard... I will look further into this but
    think its likely that I'll just have to "put up with it".

    Thanks for the input, JR.

    Mike Dee, Jan 16, 2009
  8. Mike Dee

    Warren Oates Guest

    The one I dislike is "this an application you downloaded ..." and I'm
    like "yah, I know, I just downloaded it."

    Warren Oates, Jan 16, 2009
  9. Mike Dee

    Ian Gregory Guest

    That IS the quarantine "nag" (and it doesn't bother me in the
    slightest).

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Jan 16, 2009
  10. Mike Dee

    Marc Heusser Guest

    FrameMaker for one - I fear the day my last PPC machine dies.

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Jan 17, 2009
  11. Mike Dee

    Wes Groleau Guest

    It bothers me--but I put up with it due to the slim chance
    that I might someday download an application in disguise.

    If I built a malware app and named the folder f1040.pdf.app
    OS X would _not_ show the ".app" to a GUI user.

    Wes Groleau, Jan 17, 2009
  12. Mike Dee

    ZnU Guest

    Actually, it will. At least in Leopard, the Finder always shows the .app
    extension (even if the bundle has its 'Hide Extension' flag set) if the
    name of the app would otherwise visibly appear to end with some other
    file name extension.

    Try it. Take a copy of TextEdit (or whatever) and rename it
    "TextEdit.pdf". Its name will show up as "TextEdit.pdf.app".

    ZnU, Jan 17, 2009
  13. Mike Dee

    Mike Dee Guest

    Many _many_ thanks for this. This allowed me to dig up further info's. It
    seems there are many ways to peel an apple :)

    One that appealed to me (plus other goodies):
    <http://www.osxfaq.com/tips/unix-tricks/week16/wednesday.ws> by Adrian
    Mayo

    To set the start up disc to OS 9:
    sudo bless -folder9 '/Volumes/<Your-9-disk-name>/System Folder' -setOF

    I tried this, needed to add "sudo shutdown -r now" to the mix, but boy,
    that is great. It reboots into 9 twice as fast this way.

    All I need to do now is "research\figure out" how to script my (admin)
    password to the mix and wrap it up into an AppleScript app then I'll be
    set. :)

    The sheer bliss of a one button re-boot (into 9) beckons :-D :-D

    Mike Dee, Jan 17, 2009
  14. Mike Dee

    Warren Oates Guest

    It would to me.

    Warren Oates, Jan 17, 2009
  15. Mike Dee

    Warren Oates Guest

    Look at expect(1). I use it to send passwords via rsync across my
    (suitably fire-walled) LAN. I don't know Applescript, but you can set it
    up in a Bash script somewhat thus:

    #!/usr/bin/expect -f
    spawn [whatever]
    expect "*?assword:*" [or whatever]
    send "password\r"

    and so on.

    Warren Oates, Jan 17, 2009
  16. I just tried it. If I hide the extension, it displays "TextEdit"; if I
    show the extension, it displays "TextEdit. pdf" It displays an Adobe
    pdf icon. If I double-click it, it launches Adobe Reader, which
    displays an error alert (error -1409).

    I changed the extension in the Get Info window, not in the Finder. But
    when I change it in the Finder, what you wrote is true. However, if I
    change it in the Get Info window, and hide the extension, then add
    ".app" to it in the Finder, it displays "TextEdit.app.pdf" and keeps the
    Adobe pdf icon.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 17, 2009
  17. Mike Dee

    ZnU Guest

    Yes, this is the behavior if you actually get rid of the .app extension
    completely. But of course this isn't a threat, because, as you saw, the
    app won't launch.

    ZnU, Jan 17, 2009
  18. Mike Dee

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Wow. You're absolutely right, in Tiger, too.
    So now I have to rethink whether that nag really has any benefit.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    You're all individuals!
    Yes, we're all individuals!
    You're all different!
    Yes, we are all different!
    I'm not!
    ("Life of Brian")

    Wes Groleau, Jan 18, 2009
  19. Mike Dee

    Mike Dee Guest

    I've done just that. Thanks for this too, JR, Warren and everyone, all
    good food for thought :)

    My script looks like this:

    on run

    try
    do shell script "bless -folder9 '/Volumes/<My-OS9-disk>/System Folder' -setOF" user name "me" password "my-password" with administrator privileges
    end try

    try
    do shell script "shutdown -r now" user name "me" password "my-password" with administrator privileges
    end try

    end run

    Not refined, but works (apologies for any wrapped lines between the "try"
    and "end try" bits) :)

    I do hope this won't stuff-up my PPC though. As it really works fast!!!!
    No more going to "System Preferences..." clicking "Startup Disk",
    Selecting the icon with the "9", clicking "Restart..." then clicking the
    infuriating "Are you sure" nag, to actually restart :-D :-D :-D

    Thank you

    Mike Dee, Jan 18, 2009
  20. Mike Dee

    Mike Dee Guest

    I haven't upgraded to Leopard (still) but when I do. That nag will be the
    first to go :)

    Mike Dee, Jan 18, 2009