    imposed by the OS designed /by/ idiots /for/ idiots, and I thought that
    I had rejected those limitations by choosing the Mac OS.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Aug 4, 2007

  2. God forbid any programmer tries to save us from making a mistake! :)

    Ura Dippschit, Aug 4, 2007

  3. By default the Safari 3 beta will ask for confirmation before quitting
    if you have more than one tab or window open.

    It's a feature Firefox has and I like it. Normally when web browsing
    I'll open any interesting links I come across in a new tab and only
    close it when I've finished with it. The only reason I'd every have more
    than one tab open is because I'm still using it. More than once I've
    quit Safari to do an OS or browser plug-in update only to remember later
    that there WAS a background window with several tabs open.

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 4, 2007
  4. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Roger Johnstone:
    Is that the Firefox that is designed to Windows users' "standards" with
    the Mac as an afterthought? One man's feature is another man's
    abomination.
    For me, add "or I hadn't bothered to close the tabs because with a
    single click on the red gumdrop I can close them all."
    OK, I can see how that can happen. But if it happens to me I'll accept
    responsibility myself. I don't want to be babied and asked if I'm sure
    I want to do that. And I'll use History to go back to those links if I
    make an error.

    I'm on the losing side, here, however; as Apple tries to gain territory
    it will pander more and more to Windows users' low expectations. I
    think that is a mistake -- trying to attract people by watering down
    the strengths of the Mac OS and Mac hardware.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Aug 4, 2007
  5. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Dave Balderstone:
    Oh, do piss off!

    Davoud, Aug 4, 2007
  6. That's the one, and also the reason it don't use it on my Mac. I do use
    it on my Windows PC at work though since I like it a lot more than
    Internet Explorer.
    Which you can still do, except now you'll be asked 'are you sure?',
    unless you take a few seconds to turn off the warning in Safari's
    preferences.
    Trying to restore several closed tabs was always a pain in Safari since
    they could be scattered throughout the history list e.g. some of my tabs
    may have been open for days.
    A basic tenet of the Mac has always been to ask for confirmation before
    performing any destructive task. 'Are you sure you want to remove the
    items in the trash permanently?', 'Do you want to save changes to this
    document before closing?'. I don't see how this is any different and
    think it should have always been in place.

    People who don't want the warning can easily turn it off, or use the
    safety bypasses. Option-click the close widget on a tab to close all
    other tabs in the window, or option-click window close to instantly
    close all windows with no warnings.

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 4, 2007
  7. Safari was made to be consistent with other applications; whenever you
    try to quit an application with unsaved data, it asks you whether you
    want to quit.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007
  8. True, but you can turn that off.

    What I think he's complaining about is if you have filled in data in a
    web form and try to quit, it will ask for confirmation. That's no
    different from trying to quit any other application with unsaved data in
    a document.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007
  9. All this whining because you have to change a preference setting?
    Babied indeed.

    William Mitchell, Aug 4, 2007
  10. Yet, in some cases, a life saver.

    Reginald Dwight, Aug 4, 2007
  11. OK, I can see how that can happen. But if it happens to me I'll
    accept responsibility myself. I don't want to be babied and asked if
    I'm sure I want to do that. And I'll use History to go back to those
    links if I make an error.[/QUOTE]

    So disable the feature. It really isn't all that big a deal.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007
  12. Davoud

    Guest Guest

    There's a checkbox to save you having to go to prefs to turn it off. You
    only need to see it once.
    Andy

    Guest, Aug 4, 2007
  13. Davoud

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I like it because the Back button is
    about ten pixels away from the close button.

    Wes Groleau, Aug 4, 2007
  14. Davoud

    Wes Groleau Guest

    It's unfortunately NOT a mistake if your goal is to make more money.

    If your goal is to maintain quality for the sake of your loyal remnant,
    then you have the unenviable task of balancing the need for quality with
    the need to not go out of business, leaving the remnant with no choice.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Answer not a fool according to his folly,
    lest thou also be like unto him.
    Answer a fool according to his folly,
    lest he be wise according to his own conceit.
    -- Solomon

    Are you saying there's no good way to answer a fool?
    -- Groleau

    Wes Groleau, Aug 4, 2007
  15. Davoud

    Guest Guest

    I can understand the underlying point though. What the majority want is
    usually what we all have to put up with. Apple's stuff bucks that trend
    to a certain extent, but still the lowest common denominator has an
    impact. E.g. the abandonment of SCSI, lack of firewire on some devices,
    making do with USB2 instead, and so on. I'm still not convinced that the
    PPC platform would not have massively outshone x86 if it had had the
    almost infinite financial support of the latter.

    Andy

    Guest, Aug 4, 2007
  16. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Little Sir Echo:
    What happened to FireWire on iPods? Why isn't it on the iPhone?
    Utter nonsense.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Aug 4, 2007
  17. Keep in mind that for many options, if the default has not been changed
    somehow, the property doesn't exist in the prefs file.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007
  18. Although I noticed last night that it DOESN'T warn you if you just
    click away from the page, either with the Back button or clicking on
    a link. Those are arguably more common ways to lose what you're
    entering into a form.[/QUOTE]

    But you can navigate back to the page with the forward button after the
    back button or with the back button after clicking on a link, and not
    lose the data. Closing the window or quitting will unalterably lose the
    data.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007
  19. Davoud

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Not necessarily. I've run into quite a few forms with
    #$%^&%^$ Javascript that clears the form when you do that.

    Wes Groleau, Aug 4, 2007
  20. Yeah, you're right.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 4, 2007