    look in the manual, which i had already done.
    Just be warned they are the worst company i have ever used, even worse
    then Sky Television.

    Jim, Apr 8, 2014

  2. Jim

    Paul Guest

    Have you used CPU-Z to verify the settings being used for the RAM ?
    Compare what CPU-Z says, to the actual RAM specs.

    You could switch down to using just one stick of RAM at a time,
    then do some testing.

    Generally, you don't try to run a test, until one pass of this
    is clean. memtest86+ is a self-booting memory test, that tests
    pretty well all of the memory (1MB BIOS area reserved and untested).
    This is not a "stress test" as such, but it's a start at tuning RAM.
    If you see an error at the same address location each time the test
    is run, there's a chance that's a stuck-at error on the RAM. Whereas
    random memory areas throwing errors, some tuning in the BIOS could help.

    http://www.memtest.org

    With an Asus BIOS (at least in the past), you'd select "Manual"
    for some of the major settings, and then you can see more settings
    exposed. Individual settings can still be left at Auto, but at least
    you get to see more of what is going on.

    Asus has a user-to-user forum, and if a particular version of
    BIOS is bad, you can get the info there. Each motherboard should
    have its own forum. When motherboard models share a common BIOS,
    the behaviors might be evident on other boards too. If your board
    doesn't have a lot of forum posts, try a related and visually
    similar motherboard (one with the same voltage regulator
    structure and features perhaps).

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Z87-DELUXE&SLanguage=en-us

    In modern times, the CPU has the memory controller. So the Northbridge
    is inside the CPU. Electrical performance tends to follow the CPU
    around. The motherboard provides controlled impedance copper tracks
    to join the CPU to the memory DIMM socket. But the motherboard BIOS
    does the programming, and mis-adjusted voltage or timing can
    make it flaky. If the processor design itself is at fault,
    then all users of the sams LGA family should be seeing it.
    Gone are the days where an NVidia separate Northbridge,
    behaved differently than a VIA separate Northbridge, when
    controlling memory. Since the CPU does it, there is much
    less that can go wrong in terms of motherboard design.
    Flaky voltage regulation is still a possibility. Or
    clock source jitter perhaps (not too likely).

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 8, 2014

  3. Jim

    DevilsPGD Guest

    I've had great interactions with them on an unstable Sabertooth
    motherboard, including a warranty replacement.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 10, 2014
  4. Jim

    dan Guest

    I have had horrible experience, they kept on saying contact your local
    trading standards. Never will I buy Asus again.

    dan, May 4, 2014
  5. Jim

    Ghostrider Guest

    Not living in the UK but if the ASUS board in question is not a
    retail product from ASUS but an OEM board that should have been
    sold to a systems builder, then it has made the right response.
    This is a matter to be resolved between the buyer and the OEM
    builder-seller and not ASUS.

    OTOH, if the motherboard in question is a retail one, then ASUS
    would have settled with you according to its warranty. Was there
    a written warranty or guarantee from ASUS? This is the way ASUS
    handles things in the US.

    GR

    Ghostrider, May 5, 2014
  6. Jim

    dan Guest

    It is a retail MB that I bought from a store in London. But the store
    no longer exists physically & only on the web. When I contacted the e
    tailer they said their records no longer go back that far (2011). The
    MB is a Asus sabertooth B3 p67 which says it has a 5 year warranty.

    Thnaks to all replies

    Dan.

    dan, May 6, 2014
  7. Jim

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Interesting. I'm not sure about how UK law works, whether it's the
    retailer or the vendor that is responsible for warranties, but I would
    definitely take it to your local trading standards.

    Companies rarely want to be dragged in front of a regulatory body, so
    the fact that a company suggested it makes me wonder if there isn't
    something more going on (or the rep knows that they will help if forced,
    and is trying to push you in the right direction)

    Beyond that, it just seems odd, unless of course you're missing the
    purchase documentation and also didn't register the product when you
    purchased it, in which case I can see why neither the vendor nor the
    retailer might be willing to help (and they might kick you over to local
    trading standards knowing that you don't have sufficient documentation
    to get them to assist either)

    DevilsPGD, May 6, 2014
  8. Jim

    dan Guest

    As far as I know it is the retailer that is responsible for all
    warranties in the UK. Asus kept on fobbing me off about trading
    standards. I lost the purchase proof when I re arranged my store room,
    yes I forgot to register the mb with Asus. I am one really unhappy,
    now ex Asus customer. Gigabyte has a real UK telephone number to get
    help from. Asus has a UK telephone number that when rung goes into a
    loop about contact your vendor.

    dan, May 6, 2014
  9. Jim

    DevilsPGD Guest

    I guess my point is this: If it's the retailer who is responsible and
    not the manufacturer or wholesaler, I don't blame the manufacturer for
    not taking on responsibility that doesn't belong to them, I probably
    wouldn't either.

    Trading standards sounds like it would be the correct step, since you
    may be able to beat the retailer into standing behind their product even
    though the claim to not have records (but then since you don't either,
    it complicates things significantly)

    But really, without any proof of purchase, receipt, proof of purchase,
    etc, what else do you expect them to do?

    DevilsPGD, May 6, 2014
  10. Jim

    Paul Guest

    When Asus provides a warranty, the warranty period is based on
    the serial number on the motherboard.

    The warranty period with Asus, is measured from the date of manufacture.
    For each month the product sits on a retailer shelf, that's a money
    of your warranty gone.

    Let's take my current motherboard, P5E Deluxe. Nominal warranty
    is three years. When I got the motherboard, and checked
    the lead two characters (the year and month characters), I
    could determine that 18 months of my warranty was already
    gone. The motherboard box in question, had been sitting on
    the retailer shelf, from the date of introduction. The motherboard
    would have been in the first lot hitting the North American shores.
    And as a result of that, I had "half a warranty".

    And this means you should buy from high volume sellers,
    not from people who hold a lot of stale product on the shelf.

    By measuring from date of manufacture, there is no "sales receipt"
    issue. Since it is not the purchase date used to start the warranty,
    but the serial number (manufacture date), all parties know exactly
    where they stand.

    Paul

    Paul, May 7, 2014
  11. Jim

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Under general consumer protection law in North America, this is not
    correct. If you purchase from an authorized retailer and can prove the
    date of purchase, that is the generally the date when your warranty
    starts for most consumer purchases.

    However, in the absence of documentation, the production dates are used.
    True. But this is not the way it's done legally and if it were, it would
    allow manufacturers to dodge warranty claims entirely by manufacturing
    items in bulk in advance.

    More importantly, the poster is in the UK, where the retailer is
    responsible for the warranty, not the manufacturer, so the claim is
    first against the retailer.

    DevilsPGD, May 7, 2014
  12. Jim

    dan Guest

    Thanks to all replies.

    So what more can I do a Asus are going to lose a future customer if
    this is not sorted out.

    dan, May 7, 2014
  13. Jim

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Contact local trading standards and see how they suggest you proceed.

    DevilsPGD, May 7, 2014
  14. Jim

    Paul Guest

    You can look up the warranty policy here. Mine is straightforward,
    and follows the information found. In a country with Trading Standards,
    Asus follows the law of the land, whatever it happens to be, for better
    or worse. Such policies might even affect the retail price
    paid in such a country. The warranty terms are merely a price
    adder, and it isn't a precise science like "we used Grade B capacitors
    so the warranty cost is $4.31 more over five years". The same thing
    happened with hard drives, where the warranty period was something they
    could dial, and change the retail pricing at will.

    http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=4

    Example of the policy for my board. 3 years.

    http://support.asus.com/Warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P5E Deluxe&p=1&s=22

    Warranty claims do not include physical damage. If you snap off
    pins or contacts in a CPU socket, they put the motherboard right
    back in the box, and send it back to you "Warranty Denied". The motherbosrd
    can't be full of dings and scratches, implying carelessness with a
    screwdriver. Anything that could conceivably affect operation
    (screwdriver slips and snaps off an SMT capacitor), the box with
    the motherboard is coming right back.

    Asus have done amazing repairs for people. When some ICH5 Southbridges
    were failing, at least one user got his original motherboard back
    (no refurb thrown his way), with a brand new Southbridge soldered to it.
    This is a tricky operation at the best of times, but with the poor quality
    motherboard materials used, a working motherboard in this case is nothing
    short of a miracle :) So they have done repairs, for which they would lose
    all possible profit from the board. They would not have made any money
    on that motherboard. Other repairs are a bit simpler (bricked BIOS is easy).

    Repair time can be anywhere from four weeks to twelve weeks.
    Many users end up buying another motherboard anyway, to remain up and running,
    and sell the returned motherboard when it comes back.

    *Never* leave anything on the motherboard, that you want back. If
    sending a motherboard, clean everything off it. For example, if
    you left a CPU and heatsink clamped to a motherboard, the motherboard
    will come back with no CPU and no heatsink. The other components will
    be promptly discarded. There would be no way to track them at the
    repair facility. The toe tag is tied to the motherboard, and remains
    with the item as it makes its journey. If you have a BT keyboard
    dongle, you'd unplug it before returning the product. Otherwise, it'll
    be removed and you won't get it back.

    About the only way you might change things, is to give the motherboard
    to a person outside of your country, where the policy happens to be
    different. And hope that the serial numbers do not indicate the
    country of distribution.

    I don't know how picky they are about the sales receipt. On the one
    hand, the serial number system establishes eligibility. The sales
    receipt tells then whether Trading Standards rules apply or not,
    which would be a reason for wanting to know where it was purchased.
    They don't want to run afoul of national laws, which is why they
    tolerate the differences. Whether the differences ultimately
    help the consumer is up for discussion - most of the time, UK law
    leads to a better outcome than you'd find in other countries. Having
    your retailer go out of business, is not one of those cases.

    Paul

    Paul, May 7, 2014
  15. Jim

    dan Guest

    Apologies for the late reply. so what am I supposed to do?

    dan, May 10, 2014
  16. Jim

    Paul Guest

    Since your country overrides the standard warranty, and
    enforces other terms, you talk to Trading Standards. I
    don't see another option.

    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/consumer-advice.cfm

    http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithgoods-sum16.cfm

    You would think, in this age, a "booklet" could be available
    as a PDF from the site, rather than following some creaky
    delivery chain. I can't really drill down any further on that
    last page, to answer your question.

    Paul

    Paul, May 10, 2014
  17. Jim