    I purchased it from Newegg for only $103.00 Check it out:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-320&depa=1

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Bill Crocker

    RonK Guest

    Do you own that company or just work there !!

    RonK, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Neither...if it's any of your business! I'm a computer engineer for a
    communications company in Michigan. I'm simply passing on a good solution
    to a common problem. Isn't that the purpose of this group? Besides, if I
    was affiliated with them in anyway, wouldn't it make sense to push a $500.00
    graphics card, instead of a $100.00 one?

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Bill Crocker

    JD Guest

    Depends, if thats a $50 card that you are selling for $100 to make $50
    profit whereas the $500 card cost $475 then it would make sense to push the
    cheaper one. Lol.

    Continuing on with what you were trying to say...I too am a little peaved
    with all the noise and heat computers generate these days. In the winter
    the heat isn't the worst thing but summertime it sucks, I can't leave both
    my computer running all day long or it would be just roasting in here. And
    although they are in another room, they would keep me awake at night. It
    is partially fans and partially loud hard drives. Fans are a little easier
    to solve than the loud hard drives.

    My thinking lately has been to save up for a laptop to replace one of my
    desktops, surely they don't consume nearly the power compared to a desktop?

    My other theory is wondering if a guy were to buy the fastest celeron CPU
    and then underclock it, could you get away with having no fan? Not for a
    gaming computer, but just a general internet computer. I guess that isn't
    really in line with this newsgroup. Oh well

    JD, Aug 19, 2004
  5. WTF ITS NEWEGG.... sry for the caps.... ppl stop being skeptical assholes

    Robert Jackson, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker Guest

    I'm running one of the newer Sony VAIO's, with liquid cooling. It's really
    designed with Home Entertainment in mind, PVR, etc. But it makes an
    excellent desktop, quiet, cool, yet very fast, system!

    Oh yea, almost forgot...

    DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Sony, and am not affiliated with Sony in any
    way.

    I'm Bill Crocker, and I approve this message!

    Bill Crocker, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Bill Crocker

    Augustus Guest

    I switched to a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis, 256MB DDR, with a slightly
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-320&depa=1

    Sapphire also makes fanless 9600XT, 9800 Pro and 9800XT models. A straight
    9600 is borderline for most demanding newer games.

    Augustus, Aug 19, 2004
  8. Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Have you actually tried one? You might be surprised. I've owned 9800
    PRO's, and a 9800 XT, and yes, you are correct, the 9600 is on the low end
    of Direct X 9 capable cards, but it performs very well for the money.

    There is too much fictitious hype in the video card market. And as we all
    learned recently, ATI, and NVIDIA, are not above distorting the facts, and
    inflating their specs, and performance.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Aug 19, 2004
  9. Bill Crocker

    Aki Peltola Guest

    Well it most certainly depends how well your case
    ventilation works what comes to those passively
    cooled Radeon 9600's and up. Have you tried by
    touching the HSF how warm it is during gaming?

    I suppose without a cooling fan Radeon 9600's and
    up can get quite hot, no matter what the heat sink size
    and if the case is lacking in efficient air flow.

    Aki Peltola, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Bill Crocker

    First of One Guest

    I can't hear the video card cooling fan over the standard PSU fan.

    This whole "fanless" craze has really been blown out of proportion.

    First of One, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Bill Crocker

    Sept1967 Guest

    I dont hear squat, with an Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer on my 9800Pro.

    My older ti4200 stock fan used to scream...

    Sept1967, Aug 20, 2004
  12. Bill Crocker

    First of One Guest

    I put on an Arctic Cooler, too. While running, I can't hear a difference
    between the high and low-speed modes, or a difference between it and the
    stock ATI fan...

    First of One, Aug 20, 2004
  13. Just make sure your case has decent air flow...
    without it you will find that passive heat sinks
    just get hotter and hotter the longer it runs.

    The 9600 is an OK chip, nothing spectacular but
    good for todays games. The 9600XT is actually
    less power hungry than the 9600, but they clock
    it very high. You could under clock it to the
    same speed as the 9600 and it would run much
    cooler than the 9600.

    Sapphire web page states that the 9600 only comes
    in a 64MB and 128MB version. You said you have 256MB.
    Although the Sapphire web page says that the 9600
    has 8 render pipelines on one bullet point, then 4
    on another. It says it has a 256bit memory interface
    which no 9600 has, only 9700 and 9800. At one point
    Sappire were selling 9600SE's and calling them 9600's,
    so it pays to be careful.

    John Saunders, Aug 22, 2004