  1. Hi, can anyone tell me if a library (.lib) that was generated by
    compiling some C source code with ARM in debug mode could be used to
    completely "see" the source code by some decompilation programme ?

    monnomiznogoud, May 23, 2006

  2. Seriously unlikely.

    Decompilation of compiled code works about as well as degrinding
    hamburgers back into cows. I.e., it doesn't.

    Hans-Bernhard Broeker, May 23, 2006

  3. That's true. There's no way to reconstruct the original source
    code exactly (e.g. comments are completely gone).

    However, though it's a bit tedious it's not that difficult to
    reverse-engineer the algorithms used by the original library --
    especially if debug symbols are there.

    Grant Edwards, May 23, 2006
  4. Thanx for responding folks.

    Do you know the way to reverse-engineer a library ? Is there any
    utility available ?

    My problem is that: i sent a .lib file in debug mode to the factory in
    China, by error of course :)
    I just want to know how far they could get if they wantedt o
    reverse-engineer that program. By editing the library with a hex editor
    i could see bits of my code everywhere.

    monnomiznogoud, Jun 1, 2006
  5. monnomiznogoud

    CBFalconer Guest

    *** top-posting fixed ***
    If they can read the object code (assembly mnemnonics) they can
    reverse engineer it. The debuggery symbols just make it easier.
    The question is whether or not such an effort is worthwhile to
    'them'. It usually isn't. They don't even need to do the
    disassembly to build an exact clone, just to modify it.

    Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after, or intermixed
    with, the material you quote, after snipping anything not germane
    to your reply. More useful info in the links below.

    --
    Some informative links:
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/

    CBFalconer, Jun 1, 2006