    I am looking for low-cost arm7 jtag debug tool and the software. CAn
    anyone recommend me? cost is very important.

    thanks.

    Jack, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Jack

    Simon Berry Guest

    I am looking for low-cost arm7 jtag debug tool and the software. CAn
    I while ago there was a chap on this newsgroup promoting his product -
    called a "Chameleon Pod" if I remeber correctly. Having a look at the
    website at the time I was impressed, and I don't think it was too
    expensive....

    I have never actually used one, so I can't vouch for it ... I use the Raven
    from Macraigor... stay away from them.

    Regards
    Simon

    Simon Berry, Oct 16, 2003

  3. I am looking for low-cost arm7 jtag debug tool and the software. CAn
    As long as you are doing your debugging under Cygwin, I recommend the
    Macraigor Wiggler. AFAIK it is the cheapest OTS JTAG pod. Of course it
    is a very simple circuit and you could build your own easily.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Oct 16, 2003
  4. <snip>

    ... I use the Raven
    Simon can you expand on this? I usually hear fairly good stuff about the
    Raven.

    I use the Armulator from Arm and it seems to work well. Seem to remember it
    being US$3 - 4K.

    Not Really Me, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Jack

    Leon Heller Guest

    The Wiggler works with the Green Hills tools, as well. I got mine from
    Green Hills with their demo tools for the Atmel ARM kit. Of course, if
    you can afford the Green Hills tools you can probably afford something
    better than the Wiggler. :cool:

    Leon

    Leon Heller, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Jack

    Kevin Kramb Guest

    I while ago there was a chap on this newsgroup promoting his product -
    The Chameleon Pod is from www.amontec.com. I got one of these a
    few weeks ago and it has been working as a Raven replacement for me.
    I have used it successfully with Green Hills Multi and with the demo
    version of Macraiger's GUI Flash programmer. The Chameleon only
    cost a little more than a Wiggler -- It was much less expensive than the
    Raven. When the Chameleon is emulating the Raven it can communicate
    as fast as the Raven (much faster than the Wiggler).

    We started with a Wiggler a long time ago. It was slow and less reliable
    than I would have liked (sometimes the downloads would fail). We stepped
    up to Ravens and bought several. They are much faster and more reliable
    than the Wiggler. But we've had one Raven fail over time and another is
    acting up.

    Support from Macraigor has been hit and miss. On some problems they
    have been very helpful but on other problems they have ignored us.

    If I needed another JTAG interface now I would get another Chameleon.

    -- Kevin

    Kevin Kramb, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Jack

    Simon Berry Guest

    Simon can you expand on this? I usually hear fairly good stuff about the
    The Raven as a device is great - it works well (although just last month one
    of our Ravens died )

    My problem is with the company who makes them - Macraigor. Their support /
    response has been poor (to be kind to them).

    I quote Arie de Muynck from an post earlier on in the year about Macraigor's
    support :

    "We bought the Flash tool for the NETARM50 (ARM7 core, used in big
    endianmode).The tools did not work. After 4 months of e-mailing (with the
    English
    distributor where we bought the tool) I gave up. They kept repeating that
    work was under way, that McGraigor was just getting hold of a NET+ARM kit,
    etc. No solution came up. I pointed to the fact that most ARM drivers had a
    big and a little endian HEX file used in the download - the NETARM setup
    only had a a little endian. OK, thanks, we'll work on it... no solution, no
    further replies."

    Regards
    Simon

    Simon Berry, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Anyone or any site has the schematics for wiggler? Maybe I should try
    to build my own. Also, what software should wiggler goes with?

    Jack, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Jack

    Alex Gibson Guest

    There is an arm 9 jtag project on sourceforge
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtag-arm9/

    Alex Gibson, Oct 18, 2003
  10. Check out Antti Lukats' "One Dollar Dongle" in-progress book at
    http://www.graphord.com/books/. There are VHDL equations for the
    Wiggler, among other things. There are also schematics at
    http://www.wearable.ethz.ch/fileadmin/edu/projects/ws01/wearpos/hardware.html
    and some good information at http://www.ap-systems.co.uk/.

    MacGraigor GNU software is at http://www.ocdemon.com.

    Regards.