ARM uC/uP with MMU and FPU?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Mike Noone, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. Mike Noone

    Mike Noone Guest

    Hi - I'm looking to make a pretty serious upgrade from my current
    system. Currently I'm running an Atmel AT91SAM7X256 (55MHz, 64KB RAM,
    256KB flash, ARM7TDMI) - but it's definitely starting to limit me.

    I'm hoping to upgrade to an ARM or similar processor that comes
    complete with a Memory Management Unit (MMU) and a Floating Point Unit
    (FPU). Other features that would be nice but not completely necessary:

    -flash memory
    -CAN
    -ADC
    -timers
    -UART
    -SPI
    -I2C

    One major limitation for me right now is that currently I cannot use
    BGA packaged parts - I can only use hand solder able packages like
    TQFPs, QFNs, SSOPs, etc.

    Are there any parts that meet this criteria?

    Thanks!

    -Mike

    Mike Noone, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Mike Noone

    ganti.r Guest

    ganti.r, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Mike Noone

    Mike Noone Guest

    That part looks pretty good - except that it does not have CAN. I guess
    I can always use a CAN controller like the Microchip MCP2515 - but I
    would prefer to find a chip with it already integrated.

    -Mike

    Mike Noone, Nov 21, 2006
  4. The only ones I can think of which has FPU is NXP and Freescale iMX31
    which both are in BGA, so you are basically screwed.
    You will get most peripheral things in the AT91SAM9263, except the FPU,
    again in BGA.

    Best non-BGA AT91 is the AT91SAM9260 in TQFP.
    No FPU, no CAN, no ADC.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Mike Noone

    Mike Noone Guest

    Hi Ulf - thanks for the response. Neither of those seems a good fit to
    me. Right now I'm thinking I'll be going with the Cirrus part - but I
    really don't like the idea of having to use a separate CAN controller.
    What a nuisance. I also quite dislike having to switch manufacturers -
    I expect my AT91SAM-ICE won't work with the Cirrus parts... I hope
    Atmel has something in the works that could meet my specs - but from
    what I've heard, you all don't.

    Two (unrelated) questions you: Do you know anything about when the
    ATtiny861 is going to start being available through normal distribution
    channels? As far as I know - you can only get them in limited
    quantities from distributors right now.

    Also, do you know if there are any other CAN AVRs in the works? The
    AT90CAN128/64/32 chips are physically too big for me to use on my
    current boards (even in the QFN package, as you can't route traces
    beneath the ground pad). I keep on hoping Atmel will release a
    AT90CAN168 chip (ATMEGA168 with CAN). I think there's a real market for
    such a device. I know I'd have plenty of uses for such a chip.

    Thanks,

    -Mike

    Mike Noone, Nov 22, 2006
  6. No, it will detect the manufacturer and refuse, my idea to start with , so
    blame me ;-)

    We got a 1 GFlops Floating Point DSP in Diopsis AT572D740,
    but this has an ARM7 and not an ARM9.
    Next year.

    AT89C51CCxx ?

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Nov 22, 2006
  7. Mike Noone

    Mike Noone Guest

    Ohhhhhh - in that case - I have a bone to pick with you. Initially, I
    was using engineering sample SAM7X256 chips on my boards. Later, I
    switched to normal production models - but suddenly after making that
    switch - I could no longer program the boards. I tried and tried - and
    every time it would tell me that the chip was not made by Atmel.

    I thought it was a bad SAMICE so I got a new one. It wasn't. I thought
    the board might be bad so I resoldered it. That didn't fix it. I
    thought the chip might be bad so I replaced it. That didn't fix it. I
    spoke with IAR - and they didn't have a clue what was wrong. I spoke
    with an Atmel FAE - he also did not know what was wrong. I reinstalled
    both the Segger drivers and IAR. Still didn't fix it. Finally, I got a
    hold of somebody at Segger, who immediately told me what was wrong. I
    guess each run of chips or something has a unique id placed in it - and
    then the sam-ice drivers have a list of ids that work. Apparently
    engineering sample and production run chips have different ids - and my
    drivers were old enough (installed when I started working on the SAM7X
    - so maybe 4 months old) that they only had engineering sample ids. The
    fix was to copy some drivers from the Segger folder to the IAR folder.
    I lost about a week due to that nonsense. I don't know what the purpose
    of that feature was - but let's just say I'm not a fan.
    BGA :(
    I've looked at those parts - but I'd really like to stick with AVRs as
    I am quite fond of AVR-GCC.

    -Mike

    Mike Noone, Nov 22, 2006
  8. Atmel can sell low price H/W and Segger should be able
    to get some money if you upgrade to a driver which unlocks the part.
    Obviously, your FAE contact should have known this, and your problem
    would have gone away quickly.
    I always tell customers about this limitation when I present the SAM-ICE:

    That problem will go away Q2 next year (I hope).

    No luck at this point then.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson