Armada M700, no power led, battery led flashes 8 times

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Onslo, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. Onslo

    Onslo Guest

    Hi,

    I have scoured the internet for advice on this matter, but have so far
    failed to find a resolution.

    My M700 no longer powers up, with or without the battery.

    The battery led flashes 8 times and then the system switches off. The
    power led does not come on at all. Even with the laptop closed (ie
    screen down) and the AC plugged in with no battery inserted. No beep
    codes are heard either.

    Here are some things I have tried :

    Fn+F11 - no fix
    different ram combos - no fix
    only ram and HDD connected - no fix
    removal and reseat of power converter board - no fix
    replacement RTC (cmos) battery - no fix
    Quick check of voltages at battery terminals - all seem ok

    One thing I did notice is that the fan seems to have gone short
    circuit as probing the top of the connector indicates a dead short,
    but the actual motherboard connector is not short circuit.

    So I disconnected the fan for the purpose of elimination - no fix

    Does anyone else have any other ideas or should I resign myself to
    buying a new laptop ?

    Many thanks...

    Onslo, Jul 4, 2004