Armada M700, no power led, battery led flashes 8 times

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by brilly, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. brilly

    brilly Guest

    Had this problem, and saw I wasn't the first.

    "My M700 no longer powers up, with or without the battery.
    The battery led flashes 8 times and then the system switches off. The
    power led does not come on at all. Even with the laptop closed (ie
    screen down) and the AC plugged in with no battery inserted. No beep
    codes are heard either."

    Began as an intermittent fault, and progressively worsened until it
    just would not start. Maybe something to do with the expiration of
    warranty, I think ;-)
    Had sent to Compaq during warranty period but, being an intermittent
    fault, they of course could find nothing wrong.

    Anyway... my fix.

    I had previously replaced the RTC battery (something I had found on a
    similar posting) but to no avail.

    I then got hold of an old M700 being sold as parts and swapped the
    "Power converter board" which plugs onto the System board.
    There are good instructions in "Compaq Armada M700 Series of Personal
    Computers Maintenance & Service Guide" see......
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...skId=101&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=96235

    Presto all fixed. Total cost $7.50.

    I hope this info is of some use to others.

    Brilly

    brilly, Jan 5, 2005