    power board, without having to take for a service? If not, can you
    recommend anyone near Edinburgh in Scotland with experience of these
    laptops who can fix it for me?

    Kooky45, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Kooky45

    Amyotte Guest

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Kooky45" <>
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
    Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 2:50 PM
    Subject: Armada M700 power problems

    The past couple of weeks our M700 was not booting, the nums, caps, scroll
    leds and the fan came on and that was it. Occasionally it would boot until
    last week when it stopped completely. I ordered a new DC-DC board and that
    cured the problem.

    Check out these guys http://www.cpainc.ca/ I ordered the part and it
    arrived in a couple of days. Their website states that they are in the
    process of setting up an eBay store so they may not have a problem shipping
    to scotland.

    The laptop then would lock up and that's when I noticed the fan was only
    running occasionally, laptop would over heat and lock up. I installed a new
    fan last night and still had the same problem.
    Today I have hooked up an external 5V supply for the fan and it has been
    running for hours. Tomorrow I will tear it apart again and look to see why
    the fan power is intermittant and if needed run a feed from another 5V
    point.

    The laptops are easy to open up and work on. I have a PDF file here that I
    can email you that guides you step by step if you want.

    Good luck

    Brian

    Amyotte, Jan 8, 2005