Armada M700 - Wont start up on battery power only?!?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Benje, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Benje

    Benje Guest

    Hi,

    I brought a second hand Armada M700. Anyway I plugged the AC adaptor in and
    started charging the battery, whilst this was happening I installed windows
    XP Pro onto it. Anyway after everything had installed I switched it off and
    left it to charge until the charging light went out.

    After it did I unplugged the AC adaptor and tried to turn it on but nothing,
    it wont start using the power button.

    Now am I doing something wrong here? It will start fine with the AC adaptor
    in using the power button but wont work on just its battery. Thing is
    battery reports 100% charge in windows and the green LEDs built into the
    battery also report full charge?!!??!

    Anyone any idea ?

    I've tried compaqs battery test but it doesnt seem to work under XP

    Cheers

    ben J

    Benje, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Benje

    Cosmin N. Guest

    I had the same problem with my old M700. It's been a while since I sold
    it, so I can't remember if the battery was reporting a charge while on
    AC in Windows, but the rest of the symptoms were identical. The laptop
    would work on AC, battery would charge, but unplug the AC and the laptop
    would just die.

    It turned out the battery was faulty. Compaq had a recall on M700
    batteries, and they replaced mine (the laptop was still under warranty).
    Give them a call, you may be lucky and they'll replace it. Otherwise you
    need a new battery.

    Cosmin

    Cosmin N., Aug 5, 2004