    address, in other words while it's broadcasting.

    thanks,
    PS.

    Siva Palaninathan, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Siva Palaninathan

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    MAC (Media Access Control) is the address used by the low-level networking,
    e.g. Ethernet or Arcnet handling. It points out a station in the local
    network.

    ARP is a protocol in the Internet Protocol (IP) stack for translation of IP
    addresses (4 dotted bytes, e.g. 192.168.42.13) to the MAC addresses (e.g.
    Ethernet 00:0d:20:52:68:34).

    A MAC frame is, AFAIK, the IP packet sent on the link level with the MAC
    headers and trailers.

    An ARP frame is a link level frame carrying the ARP protocol data.

    The MAC address is resolved by an ARP protocol query frame which is a
    broadcast MAC frame. The addressed station sends back (non-broadcast) an ARP
    response frame.

    HTH

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio @ iki fi

    Tauno Voipio, Aug 31, 2003

  3. IMO the best thing is installing a packet sniffer and looking at some
    packets. Of course, a good book helps ;-)

    I quite like ethereal: http://www.ethereal.com

    Jan-Hinnerk

    Jan-Hinnerk Reichert, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Siva Palaninathan

    Richard Guest

    Absolutely! Nothing better than seeing it in action - especially with a
    decode.

    Richard, Sep 1, 2003