Arrangement of drives (now I'm confused!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave in MPLS, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Dave in MPLS

    Dave in MPLS Guest

    I just bought a DVD+-RW, but I'm not sure where to put it to fit in
    with my other three drives. I googled this group, but now I'm just
    confused.

    I have:
    One DVD+-RW
    One DVD-ROM
    One CD-RW
    and of course one HD

    The arrangement I was thinking of is:

    Primary master: HD
    Primary slave: DVD-ROM
    Secondary master: DVD+-RW
    Secondary slave: CD-RW

    I remember warnings about putting writers on the same channel as the
    HD, thus this arrangement. I want to keep the DVD-ROM to lessen wear
    and tear on the DVD writer. Will this arrangement cause me any
    problems I should forsee? Or is it (probably) OK? I could see
    possible problems if I was trying to read with one of the writers and
    write with the other at the same time, but I can't really think of a
    reason I'd be doing that.

    Thanx,
    Dave in MPLS

    Dave in MPLS, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Dave in MPLS

    DaveW Guest

    Any arrangement with an optical drive (CD or DVD) on the same channel as the
    harddrive will greatly reduce your harddrive data transfer rates. I would
    lose the DVD-ROM and keep the writers.

    DaveW, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Dave in MPLS

    Julian Guest

    Could someone please explain this?
    There is frequent reference to such ill effects, but I have never
    understood why an idle cd-r would have any material effect on a hdd on
    the same controller.

    Julian, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Dave in MPLS

    jamotto Guest

    There is no ill effect by having a CD-Rom on the same channel. As
    long as the CD-Rom supports DMA access then as long as only one drive
    is using the channel at a time then there is no performance slowdown.
    This is only false if one drive only supports PIO mode. Then the
    entire channel uses the slowest speed.

    jamotto, Jan 25, 2004
  5. Dave in MPLS

    jamotto Guest

    That config should work just fine. Just keep in mind that only one
    drive can be reading/writing at a time per channel. If any of your
    drives use PIO mode then the entire channel will will set it's speed
    to the slowest drive speed.

    If it worries you to much then install a PCI IDE controller then use
    it to give you some more channels to work with.

    hope this helps

    jamotto, Jan 25, 2004
  6. Dave in MPLS

    Julian Guest