AS8 Mother Board- Won't boot - Why? This is what happens:

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Toto, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Toto

    Toto Guest

    Hello there! How is verybody doing in this back-to-school times?

    OK so here is the situation I am faiced with. If you had a similar one, I
    would love to hear how you solved your problem. By the way this is not hte
    first time I am assembling a PC form scratch.

    I bough a AS8 Abit Mother board and a Pentium 4 CPU (2.66 GHz, 533 MHs FSB,
    1 MB L2 Cache). After I have finished connecting everything, power-up, the
    boot sequence starts but within seconds, the Speaker makes several unsual
    long beeps and then the Motherboard shutsdown.

    If I look at the AC2003 PCD (Post Code Display) on the mother board, the
    code I see just before shutdown is : 9.6. When the MB is fully shutdown then
    the PCD reads : 9.F.

    Any clues, suggestions?

    Thanks for the help.

    Regards,
    Manuel

    Toto, Sep 11, 2005

  2. Toto

    Conor Guest

    Long beeps is usually CPU or memory fault - I forget which.

    Conor, Sep 11, 2005

  3. Toto

    Dave Guest

    The 9.6 code points to a problem with the cpu core voltage(see your
    manual page g-5). There doesn't appear to be a 9.F code but there is a
    8.F code which also points towards some sort of power issue. It's all to
    common in these groups to have people tell you that your power supply
    is the problem so I won't do that, but your BIOS seams to be pointing
    that way.

    Dave, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Toto

    Toto Guest

    Conor, Dave thanks for helping resolve my problem.

    I got the solution and this is somewhat embarrasing. My problem was as
    simple as a cable not properly connected...

    When I installed the new AS8 board with a P4 pentium I was actually
    upgrading from an older mother board with a Celeron CPU. This mother board
    had only ONE powersupply connector (the 20 pin connector - ATXPWR1). Howver
    the AS8 requires 2 feed and thus two connectors: the 20 pin ATXPWR1 AND the
    4 pin connector ATX12V1.

    As soon as I plugged in the second power cord, my problem disapeared.

    My upgrade is now complete and my daughters are using their new PC.

    Regards,
    Manuel

    Toto, Sep 14, 2005