AS8 vs. AS8-V vs. AS8-3rd Eye

Discussion in 'Abit' started by kse, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. kse

    kse Guest

    Hi all

    I am about to purchase my first Intel board for a _long_ time. Therefore I
    wanna make absolutely sure that I choose the right one.

    I have looked at these three, all from my favorite manufacturer ABIT:

    AS8:
    http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/dk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AS8&fMTYPE=LGA775
    AS8-V:
    http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/dk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AS8-V&fMTYPE=LGA775
    AS8-3rd Eye:
    http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/dk/mot...ail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AS8-3rd+Eye&fMTYPE=LGA775

    I get it that with the AS8-3rd Eye you get this little alarmclock looking
    device with the mainboard but what else do I get? And whats the difference
    between AS8 and AS8-V cause I can't seem to find the difference anywhere.

    Please help me out here guys. I am really looking forward to hear what you
    wise guys can tell me about these boards.

    Best regards

    Kenneth

    kse, Oct 17, 2004

  2. kse

    tester Guest

    U┬┐ytkownik kse napisa┬│:
    My opinion:
    Very Good board for a long time if You load it with "the best things" today (graphics and sound).
    The PCI-E is only "promise" of power now, becouse the hardware is only interfaced to support
    it but not using the POWER it offers. The PCI-Express will be fully operational at the end of
    the next year or later, when developers will use the bandwith of PCI-E not only interface to
    junction PCI-Express. The next Year You will have newer chipsets wich will support FSB over 1Ghz
    and new Intel processor line, so the i915/925 is not better than i865.
    i915/925 board solutions is poor overclockable if You try it.

    The difference between the boards is easy to find on:
    http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/dk/motherboard/motherboard_type.php?fMTYPE=LGA775
    The AS8-V doesn't support RAID feature.

    Regards.

    tester, Oct 17, 2004

  3. "kse"wrote in message...
    Personally, if I was buying an Intel based system right now, I would go for
    an 865 or 875 based, Socket 478 solution rather than the 9x5, LGA775
    options, ideally finding a good Northwood P4 to put in it.

    As has already been said, PCI Express isn't really market mature yet,
    neither is DDR2 memory, while the Prescott processor is, to put it bluntly,
    a bit of a runt. Even twice the L2 cache can't put it on level clock for
    clock performance terms with the Northwood, and while it will overclock a
    little further, the amount of heat you need to get rid of mandates extra
    expenditure on cooling.

    I've recently built a couple of AA8 based systems for friends who just
    wanted the latest and greatest and didn't care how much it cost. Having
    built them, I was glad it wasn't my own money, as neither performed as well
    as my own IC7 Max3/Northwood 2.6C/PC4400 setup, even when running
    considerably higher clockspeed.

    Buying an LGA775 based board on the assumption that you will be giving
    yourself some room for future upgrades would be a mistake. The Prescott has
    recently been abandoned by Intel, and they are working to bring in their new
    dual core processors and supporting chipsets as soon as possible. The E0
    stepping CPU's may run a little cooler when they're available, but you won't
    be able to buy them in quantity for another couple of months.

    A lot depends on what you are looking for from the system, but if I were in
    your shoes, I'd either wait a few months and see how the market looks in the
    early to mid part of next year, or, if you want a new system right now and
    want it to be Intel based, buy one of Abit's 865 or 875 based motherboards,
    and build on that with the best DDR memory, AGP graphics card and processor
    you can find. It'll offer you the best performance-practicality balance you
    can find right now.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom