    for the thickness of the optical drives that they accept. I'm
    particularly interested in whether the T42 dissipates heat as well as
    the R51, but other am also interested in any other differences.

    michael, Jun 2, 2004

  2. michael

    Jim Walker Guest

    I have an A30p which is the earlier version of the R series and I think
    that there are significant differences with the T series. I do own a T20 so
    I am familiar with that series. I made the move to the A30p for a number of
    reasons. I liked the larger heavier design because I feel that it will
    offer more protection and heat dissipation, and thus more reliability. The
    1600x1200 screen on the A30p will spoil you for screens of less resolution.
    Due to the larger size, I have two Ultrabay slots. As a bonus, the keyboard
    of the A30p is much better than my T20 which was flexible. As usual, the
    A30p offered a faster processor, more memory, and larger HD. The A and the
    R series are desktop replacements and I feel that is the way to go if you
    can handle the weight when you travel.

    Jim Walker, Jun 3, 2004

  3. michael

    michael Guest

    Thanks for the input, but in this case, you may be behind the times
    (I've got an A31 right now, BTW): The R series does not have two
    ultrabay slots; just bay, like the T42 (although the T42 has a
    slim-something bay, rather than an ultrabay). T42 actually has a faster
    processor than an of the fastest R series models, and the same array of
    hard drive sizes; at it comes standard with drives with faster spindle
    speeds than the R series. That, in fact, was what motivated my
    question: Aside from the weight difference (less than a pound), I can't
    get any info. from IBM about how the two series now really differ.
    (True, you can't get a 1600 x 1200 screen on a T series machine, but I'm
    plenty happy with 1024 x 768 on a 15" screen (in fact, I returned an
    older R series model with a 1400 x 1050 screen because the type even at
    that res. was too small for my taste).

    I share your intuition that the large R series case (not larger by much,
    though: 31-36mm on the T42's w/15" screens vs. 37-40 mm. for R51's
    with the same size screen; see tech ref at
    http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/me.nsf/re...terature&&cntry=US#Personal Systems Reference

    But I haven't seen any actual data about heat, so I was hoping someone
    could point to some.

    michael, Jun 3, 2004
  4. michael

    comcast2 Guest

    used to be that the T series was made by IBM, the R and A series by somebody
    else, if that matters. I have a T21 and a T23 and two A21's (and m and a p,
    with the Flexscree 1600x1200).

    I think (but don't know) that in the old days (a few years ago) there were
    lots of diffences between the series; now, not so much. I ordered and
    returned current highline R and T models, finding both of them sort of pale
    imitations of the older versions.

    comcast2, Jun 4, 2004
  5. michael

    Jim Guest

    No, you are not missing anyhting.. on the ball

    Jim, Jun 4, 2004
  6. michael

    JHEM Guest

    Only the "R" series was made by someone else (Acer), both the "A" and "T"
    series were 100% made by IBM.

    --
    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Jun 6, 2004
  7. michael

    GeekMan Guest

    The only differences now - is the weight like you said and the case
    material.. I think all thinkpads are made by someone else in China
    like everything else.

    One more thing, the difference in quality from my old 600x and my
    current T40 is incredibly apparent. The 600x had a sticker on the
    bottom "Made by IBM", the T40 's sticker has "Made for IBM". The 600x
    was tank compared to the T40.

    With all computers made in China, I think all laptop quality is the
    same.

    GeekMan, Jun 10, 2004