    Bob

    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp

    WinDVD 8 has a free trial.

    Bob Fay, Jul 9, 2007

  2. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    These are all DVD interface media players, like VLC, only they cost
    money.

    They will not work if the Pioneer cannot even see the DVD.

    Molesworth, Jul 9, 2007

  3. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    You said that "my Computer" sees the E:\ drive. Does it see a DVD when you
    insert it?

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 9, 2007
  4. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    Hmm,

    I click on 'Cinema' and it says:

    'Unable to detect a DVD or DVD device on your computer. Continue anyway?'

    So I press 'continue' and get a menu.

    I press 'eject' and out comes the DVD...

    And now I've told it to apply the default settings.

    Insert my (region 1 - I checked!) DVD and it still doen't 'see' the
    device.

    Molesworth, Jul 9, 2007
  5. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    My Arcade has only types of media. No 'programs' at all. Not in Help
    either.

    :-(

    Molesworth, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    Acer Arcade will play any media on your computer. Songs, Video, DVD, etc
    I am running out of ideas.

    Any body got a different DVD you could borrow?

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    You said that "my Computer" sees the E:\ drive. Does it see a DVD when you
    insert it?

    Bob[/QUOTE]

    No.

    But I'm ripping CD's as we speak. And playing them!

    Molesworth, Jul 9, 2007
  8. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    I can play all these DVD's on my Mac (old G4), and wife can play them on
    her PC..

    Molesworth, Jul 9, 2007
  9. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    I give!!!!

    Does Pioneer list the capabilities of your drive?

    bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 9, 2007
  10. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    Found it!

    Apparently I have ASPI drivers and (on exploring) find that they aren't
    installed.

    Look here:

    http://web.ncf.ca/aspi.htm

    I have d/l'd the right ASPI files and now have to figure out how to
    install them.

    Will let you know the result.

    (I have been doing this for nearly 20 hours now, a rapid learning curve
    on MS and PC's!)

    Molesworth, Jul 9, 2007
  11. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    LOL!

    It isn't even listed on their pages!!!

    DVR K16RS

    Plenty of mentions throughout Scroogle, but no actual Pioneer listings
    on their site.

    As I said earlier, I think it's an ASPI issue. Trouble is, I have no
    idea how to edit the registry or any desire to get involved in things I
    have no comprehension of!

    I have pages of how to do it, and a little program has told me that
    indeed, they are not present, but I am really not confident of going
    into the innards of a PC. Mac, no prob, but PC's - there be dragons...

    :)

    Molesworth, Jul 9, 2007
  12. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    Did you get it to work?

    Jim, Jul 26, 2007
  13. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    Did you get it to work?[/QUOTE]

    Nope.

    Basically (because I'm a Maccie) I just don't understand the jargon and
    programming stuff (never needed to, see?).'If' and 'Then' is about my
    limit. So it's a bust unless I send it off or find someone locally wot
    kno's about these things.

    Molesworth, Jul 27, 2007
  14. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    Seems the bottom line of this thread is whether the problem exists with
    the hardware or within XP. An easy way to verify is with a live-cd.
    Being a laptop does create a challenge though not being dual optical
    drive equipped.

    Solution #1 would be to connect an external USB CD-ROM. If your BIOS
    will boot to it put the live-cd in it and once up place your DVD into
    the laptop's drive. If it plays you have a Windows problem.

    Solution #2 is to load the live-cd from the laptop drive and then
    continue the process by actually installing the OS. This will require
    partitioning the hard drive. Not difficult at all using the live-cd but
    clearly do so without distractions so you don't inadvertently delete
    Windows in the process. End result being a dual boot machine.

    I have a 3002LCi using PCLinuxOS 2007 at work setup as dual boot. Plays
    DVD's just fine. Will check today to see if the BIOS offers the option
    of booting from USB.

    Jim, Jul 28, 2007
  15. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    Hmm. (As I didn't know the term 'Live-CD' I looked it up on wiki).

    This may be the answer, if I can find the correct live-cd for this
    system (XP) on this PC (3100)

    Let me know your results please?

    Molesworth, Jul 28, 2007
  16. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    Now that you know there is nothing complicated about the PC, I would think
    you would trash the MAC and embrace this simple hardware. LOL

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 28, 2007
  17. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    Bob,

    I've been Maccy since 1988! Since a 2si Pizza Box!

    And what does all this *mean* (from wiki):
    !

    Complete gibberish.

    LOL

    I expect a computer to do what I want it to. I have *never* been
    disappointed with any of my Macs. I don't want to start a silly
    argument, except to point out that Macs are best.

    :)

    Alan

    Molesworth, Jul 28, 2007
  18. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    I suggest you give a look at PCLinuxOS 2007. Very user friendly. Use
    that CD for some time just to get a good feel for what it offers. You
    can even "download" additional software if desired. Of course being in
    live-cd mode once you shut down all is returned to as it was before you
    started.

    I've tried several other variations but none come close to being as easy
    to use.

    Jim, Jul 28, 2007
  19. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    My 3002LCi doesn't have the option to boot from a USB device.

    Jim, Jul 28, 2007
  20. Molesworth

    Bob Fay Guest

    I have no clue. I still have tears in my eyes laughing about the Wikipedia
    content. I know nothing about a MAC. But it has to make more sense than the
    "live-cd". Sorry you have not solved your problem. It's proving to be quite
    entertaining. Heck, who needs dvd's anyway.

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Jul 28, 2007