    After you try it you'll understand the sense that it makes. These are
    very handy for system builders to verify all the hardware is working
    before installing their OS of choice.

    Jim, Jul 28, 2007

  2. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    Are you familiar with live-cd's? The posted wiki clearly doesn't do
    justice.
    A live-cd is a fully functional Linux distribution in compressed
    format that fits on a CD. You set the BIOS to boot first option from
    the CD drive. Pop the disc in the tray and boot the computer. That's
    all there is to it.

    After you try it you'll understand the sense that it makes. These are
    very handy for system builders to verify all the hardware is working
    before installing their OS of choice.[/QUOTE]

    I actually understood that! So the Linux is completely self-contained?
    How does it work with M$? All will be revealed...

    :)

    I'll d/l the CD and give it a go.

    Thanks!

    Molesworth, Jul 29, 2007

  3. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    Important note to clarify a point. The live-cd isn't meant to work with
    Windows, instead it is a totally separate entity. Being separate is
    what gives it and you the ability to test the hardware without any
    remnants of Windows code being in the way.

    For my family and friends I've made permanent installations making their
    machines dual boot. That way they have the benefits of both systems
    ready at hand.

    Jim, Jul 29, 2007
  4. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    Important note to clarify a point. The live-cd isn't meant to work with
    Windows, instead it is a totally separate entity. Being separate is
    what gives it and you the ability to test the hardware without any
    remnants of Windows code being in the way.

    For my family and friends I've made permanent installations making their
    machines dual boot. That way they have the benefits of both systems
    ready at hand.[/QUOTE]

    OK - understood.

    Pity the site is down for 'essential maintenance'!

    But I will persevere.

    Molesworth, Jul 29, 2007
  5. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    OK - understood.

    Pity the site is down for 'essential maintenance'!

    But I will persevere.
    [/QUOTE]
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

    Jim, Jul 29, 2007
  6. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    [/QUOTE]

    Right, I have d/l'd the program to a CD.

    Please clarify again - will this prog (pclinuxos-2007.iso)
    work as it is? Or do I need to open/unzip(?) it first before burning to
    the CD?

    Molesworth, Jul 30, 2007
  7. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    Look at your burning software very carefully. Look for a phrase like
    burn CD image..

    If using Nero you should find it in the File menu area.

    Roxio might say "Record CD from CD Image."

    Now, if PCLinuxOS were already installed, you'd simply double click the
    ..iso file and the burning software, K3b, would have automatically opened
    to perform that task. Neat, eh?

    Jim, Jul 30, 2007
  8. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    Look at your burning software very carefully. Look for a phrase like
    burn CD image..

    If using Nero you should find it in the File menu area.

    Roxio might say "Record CD from CD Image."

    Now, if PCLinuxOS were already installed, you'd simply double click the
    .iso file and the burning software, K3b, would have automatically opened
    to perform that task. Neat, eh?[/QUOTE]

    I use Roxio 'Toast' I burnt(?) it using 'PC only' and 'Data'. It is
    about 630mb.. all done anyway.

    All will be revealed.

    Thanks again!

    Molesworth, Jul 30, 2007
  9. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    I use Roxio 'Toast' I burnt(?) it using 'PC only' and 'Data'. It is
    about 630mb.. all done anyway.

    All will be revealed.

    Thanks again!
    [/QUOTE]
    I have zero experience with macs. "Data" somehow seems to be the wrong
    option. See if they offer an image burning option. If not burned as an
    image the disc will not be bootable.

    Jim, Jul 30, 2007
  10. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    I have zero experience with macs. "Data" somehow seems to be the wrong
    option. See if they offer an image burning option. If not burned as an
    image the disc will not be bootable.[/QUOTE]

    I had three options: Data, Video, Copy,

    No, *four* options: Data, Video, Copy, Audio.

    I can also do a 'Copy' if you think that's better?

    Molesworth, Jul 31, 2007
  11. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    I had three options: Data, Video, Copy,

    No, *four* options: Data, Video, Copy, Audio.

    I can also do a 'Copy' if you think that's better?
    [/QUOTE]
    Best option at this point would be to ask the question on a mac
    newsgroup regarding your particular application and the version number
    of that application.

    Jim, Jul 31, 2007
  12. Molesworth

    Jim Guest

    A mac using friend at work says to select Data then look closely for a
    radio button or check box to make it bootable.

    Jim, Aug 2, 2007
  13. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    A mac using friend at work says to select Data then look closely for a
    radio button or check box to make it bootable.[/QUOTE]

    Ah! That's why it ain't working! 'Bootable' eh? Devilish cunning..

    LOL

    Cheers for that - I'll do it again..

    Molesworth, Aug 2, 2007